nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Team,

Newbie to reefing here

So, I'm getting my 30g tank these days and need to prepare to make it cycle

I realised yesterday that before that i need 30g of marine water though, quack!

I just don't have space enough at home to have a separate container that big (or several smaller) with a pump running for 24hs

But i also read mixing the salt with water in the tank is not the best idea due to the residue

I've spent some time thinking and reading but found all kind of opinions on this

Should I do it in batches? I have a 20 liters (~5ish g) bucket there that I can use but I'd take me 6 long days to do that (6 batches or more even)

And if I do so, should I start cycling the tank as soon as the first batch "arrives"

Also, is it absolutely madness thinking about doing a double-higher concentration batch and then mix it with freshwater?

( not the most brilliant chemistry student here )

Thanks all!

Mariano

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most saltwater only requires about an hour of mixing, if even that.
Yes, you can mix it in the tank, the best way is without sand and rocks but as long as you're making sure it's dissolving, you can add it with the rocks and sand... just add it in a few separate batches.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed in two 5 gal(20 liter) food grade buckets in the past. I also us Aquaforest Salt. Mixes in 10 minutes clear. Great salt too.

Link

I am using the Hybrid Pro salt right now.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you'll need reverse osmosis water also... don't mix or make with just any 'fresh' water

A lot of local fish stores will sell RO water or even premixed salt water in totes or buckets... might want to check into that also

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Team,

Newbie to reefing here

So, I'm getting my 30g tank these days and need to prepare to make it cycle

I realised yesterday that before that i need 30g of marine water though, quack!

I just don't have space enough at home to have a separate container that big (or several smaller) with a pump running for 24hs

But i also read mixing the salt with water in the tank is not the best idea due to the residue

I've spent some time thinking and reading but found all kind of opinions on this

Should I do it in batches? I have a 20 liters (~5ish g) bucket there that I can use but I'd take me 6 long days to do that (6 batches or more even)

And if I do so, should I start cycling the tank as soon as the first batch "arrives"

Also, is it absolutely madness thinking about doing a double-higher concentration batch and then mix it with freshwater?

( not the most brilliant chemistry student here )

Thanks all!

Mariano
You can start with empty tank and add appropriate cups and salt and mix with water flow pumps or in buckets adding to tank accordingly

OP
OP
nano_medina

nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, you can mix saltwater outside the tank at a higher salinity and combine it with freshwater in the tank.

Regardless of the method you choose, be sure you have a properly calibrated device to measure salinity.
Ohh In fact I just received part of my new gear to start this adventure: the salinity test

These days I should get the pump and the salt and can get started. Curious here, say the package says you need to add 1 spoon of salt every 3 gallons (I know, that's far from correct)

Can I add 2 spoons instead? (so salinity would be twice - so once mixed separately, I'd need to add 3 gallons freshwater in the tank so the salinity goes back to normal)

Can I add 3?

Can I add 6? What's the limit? Is there any? I know there is a risk of precipitation (whatever that means)
Can't google this, I lack the correct technical chemistry nomenclature, but I hope to learn eventually

OP
OP
nano_medina

nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed in two 5 gal(20 liter) food grade buckets in the past. I also us Aquaforest Salt. Mixes in 10 minutes clear. Great salt too.

Link

I am using the Hybrid Pro salt right now.
Planning to go with this fella: https://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Red-Sea-Coral-Pro-Salt-7-kg/5295?search=Red Sea CoralPro

Honestly I should've probably already started the research before buying and it's already dispatched so waiting for it. Hopefully it doesn't take so long to mix

OP
OP
nano_medina

nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix in a HDX tote from Home Depot and have it close to the tank so you can pump it in after mixing.
They sell the 30gal HDX totes for about $15
Hi there, my wife will kill me if I get another 30gal thing in this apartment haha. Yeah, no, unfortunately no space to have a salinity-station the same size of the tank

Instead I'm planning to get my self just a foldable bucket 5g, enough to prepare salt-water for the fortnightly water changes

Makes sense?

OP
OP
nano_medina

nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you'll need reverse osmosis water also... don't mix or make with just any 'fresh' water

A lot of local fish stores will sell RO water or even premixed salt water in totes or buckets... might want to check into that also
Ok so here starts the most controversial part of this post probably

So, I've been reading a lot about this

- I do not have RO system at home and I did not find a single place where to buy RO water unfortunately
- I got into a reefing group in Ireland in facebook (I'm from Dublin)

The lads there said that the water is not that bad you need a RO system at all cost (they do recommend it strongly though). They said I should at least buy the conditioner though. I'm waiting this guy to arrive soon:

But I head later the best one is Prime.

Given all this, my plan is to:
1) Prepare salt-water in the tank directly two days - water moving through pump, waver-maker and filter
2) Test salinity; if ok: add beneficial bacteria liquid, sand and live rock (I know, that's gonna make the aquarium cloudy - not ideal)
3) Have it cycling for at least 2 weeks - hopefully the filter will help the water get clear ?
4) Test water values and pH and if ok add the CUC doing cleaning-stuff two more weeks
5) Then go FOWLR for the first half year

(Question here; can I do 4 and 5 in a single step?)

If all that goes fine and I wanna get some coral, I'll decide to invest and install the RODI system then as I know coral can be so tricky

Please someone stop me if I'm doing something terrible wrong here :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you are using tap water now? Would strongly suggest that you reconsider that, you don't know what you get in your tap water. An RO Buddy is not expensive and is very small, really better to start correctly with good water.

I know you are eager, but be patient, everyone here advises to get a rodi, not one person will ever suggest to use tap water, there is a reason for this.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need some sort of water supply.

Either hit up Amazon for a basic RODI system, or if they sell it in supermarkets there use the distilled water they sell for baby formula - though this should be a secondary option.

For mixing: On first fill you can just mix a few gallons at a time in a 5 gallon (20L?) bucket from the hardware store and pour it into the tank. This will take a day including making all the water (if using RODI) but will also give you time to make adjustments to your aquascape and so on.

If you have a sand bed put a bowl/plate on the sand and pour the water onto that to limit the water clouding up. Expect cloudiness to take a few days to dissipate.

You’ll need some sort of basic salt mixing option outside the tank anyway (the 5 gallon bucket or metric equivalent and a small power head) because you’ll need to do water changes to keep your tank nice for its occupants. While you can do the initial salt mix in the tank you can’t do this once you have fish in there, water will have to be mixed outside.

Any chance you live somewhere near the coast? There’s a few folks here who use natural sea water provided they live somewhere a decent distance from sources of pollution, but this option is a lot less convenient than having a system you can run in your house.

OP
OP
nano_medina

nano_medina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need some sort of water supply.

Either hit up Amazon for a basic RODI system, or if they sell it in supermarkets there use the distilled water they sell for baby formula - though this should be a secondary option.

For mixing: On first fill you can just mix a few gallons at a time in a 5 gallon (20L?) bucket from the hardware store and pour it into the tank. This will take a day including making all the water (if using RODI) but will also give you time to make adjustments to your aquascape and so on.

If you have a sand bed put a bowl/plate on the sand and pour the water onto that to limit the water clouding up. Expect cloudiness to take a few days to dissipate.

You’ll need some sort of basic salt mixing option outside the tank anyway (the 5 gallon bucket or metric equivalent and a small power head) because you’ll need to do water changes to keep your tank nice for its occupants. While you can do the initial salt mix in the tank you can’t do this once you have fish in there, water will have to be mixed outside.

Any chance you live somewhere near the coast? There’s a few folks here who use natural sea water provided they live somewhere a decent distance from sources of pollution, but this option is a lot less convenient than having a system you can run in your house.
Hi there @PotatoPig and @Mr. Mojo Rising good stuff here

i'm evaluating this two little guys:

https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/3046/152

I really need them to be something I can save after using. I noticed a lot of people having a complete lab just from preparing salt-water; unfortunately can't afford to take up so much space and re-thinking my decision of going marine out of this

I live close to the sea in Dublin and I believe the water is very polluted in the coast so I don't think I'm going that way. I don't own a car also

Searching a ro system I can save after using; researching researching researching :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord.. the misinformation here is not only confusing but also astounding!!!

First!! Yes you can absolutely mix your salt in the tank if it is a new build with no livestock. What is a tank but a big butt bucket right?

There are a couple reasons why this is discouraged. Mainly when you go to add your substrate (sand) it is difficult if not impossible to not get cloudiness in the water. Plus it is difficult to get the sand to fall exactly where you want it.

Ok.. Second.. What are your plans for this system? Do you plan a mixed reef? Do you plan a fish only with live rock? These are VERY different systems and the level of caution is significantly different between the two.

A fish only system can be done with plain tap water just fine. I know at least a dozen examples, including my own tank, that ran just fine doing that.. This is also using the chemical soup that passes for tap water in San Jose California. I wouldn't drink it, but it worked for a fish only setup.

If you plan for ANY inverts.. shrimp, crabs, corals, ect, then plan for the need for copper free water. Copper is lethal to inverts of any kind... Yep if you get a breakout of Ich and use copper power to cure it, you will lose all of your inverts.

This is not an insurmountable obstacle!! Check out Amazon for a sink mounted RODI unit. They are inexpensive (as compared to other hardware needed for this hobby), small and can be used as needed and removed when not.

My personal setup, while not a sink mount, produced about 20 gallons of clean water in about 8 or 9 hours depending how old the prefilters are. A sink mount should be able to produce the 5 or 6 gallons you will need for top offs and water changes in roughly 2 or 3 hours (best guess so dont quote me on that).

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your simply wrong here, mixing highly concentrated saltwater WILL cause precipitation of elements. Unless you are saying that the salt manufacturers and BRS are giving wrong information.

"If you add water to the dry salt or make a concentrated solution it causes crusty precipitation and creates an inconsistent mix."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back