GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is mostly dependent on the ambient co2 in the air around the water. A small space with lots of people or pets will depress tank pH because of higher co2 levels. Open windows will help prevent this. High pH additives will only temporally help but should not be used when setting up a tank as there is little to no alk consumption and they will raise alk too high.
Thank you for your response. Are there filter media or other aquarium devices that are used to drop these CO2 levels? Or are they expensive and meant for larger reef tanks? Thanks!

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are there filter media or other aquarium devices that are used to drop these CO2 levels?
Co2 scrubbers can be used on skimmers that utilize media that absorbs co2 but if the air around the aquarium has elevated levels it will have a minimal benefit to the aquariums pH. Surface agitation on the surface of the water will cause gas exchange which absorbs the co2 in the room lowering the tanks pH. Fresh outside air is the best and most effective way to increase your tanks pH whenever possible.

There is no filter that is effective at removing the co2 from the air in a home feasibly unless you want to spend thousands on filter media annually.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I was meant to start the cycling process pouring that beneficial bacteria from commercial bottle

I'll receive two live rocks this weeks but thought the bottle stuff would've also helped so the bacteria can "eat" the ammonia and nitrites

The livestock I'm planning to have, for now, is a cleaning crew ( 5 snails, 5 hermits and 3 shrimps ), then get myself a couple of clownfish and finally a yellow gobi

In a lovely universe i can get pistol-shrimp and they become friends with the gobi and that would be a dream made true :)

Thanks for asking

Not sure why everyone wants to add the cleanup crew first.

Would you hire a maid service to clean a brand new house before you have even set foot in it?

Exactly the same thing here... What is a clean up crew supposed to clean? You are cycling, or just finished cycling, lights are off, so no algae, no fish in tank so no loose uneaten food particles... What is a clean up crew to do except starve to death?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back