Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them!!

EddieM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I use a Panworld pump to mix the water as well as move it upstairs for water changes. The tank on the left has the fresh RODI water and is also used for top off (via a Spectrapure Litermeter). The tank on the right is my mixing tank.
20170206_184803.jpg

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I use a Panworld pump to mix the water as well as move it upstairs for water changes. The tank on the left has the fresh RODI water and is also used for top off (via a Spectrapure Litermeter). The tank on the right is my mixing tank.
20170206_184803.jpg
Where did you get those containers? Been looking for some stand up ones like that.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I find more attractive stand up containers, but I'll admit using gravity to fill trash cans (marked per 5 gal increments on the inside) with the cans on wheels works ok.

image.jpeg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BNR210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the hubby and I have come up with so far.
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG

The pipe goes through the ceiling and plumbed through the wall into the cabinet where I can fill up my ato reserve tank from the ro/di tank on the left or pump in newly made saltwater into my sump from the tank on the right with a turn of a valve.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG

The pipe goes through the ceiling and plumbed through the wall into the cabinet where I can fill up my ato reserve tank from the ro/di tank on the left or pump in newly made saltwater into my sump from the tank on the right with a turn of a valve.

With this set up will you not pump a significant amount of salt water in to your ATO reservoir? After pumping fresh salt water there could be a gallon or two of salt water in the common line when you change over to RO/DI couldn't there be?

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this set up will you not pump a significant amount of salt water in to your ATO reservoir? After pumping fresh salt water there could be a gallon or two of salt water in the common line when you change over to RO/DI couldn't there be?
I cannot speak for BNR210, but in my setup I have a fitting at the lowest point that allows me to drain the common lines when switching. I found if I flushed the lines with water it took almost 5 gallons before the output started coming up 0TDS, and my setup is fairly compact.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind explaining your plumbing set up in some detail? I am looking to set up a similar system.
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak for BNR210, but in my setup I have a fitting at the lowest point that allows me to drain the common lines when switching. I found if I flushed the lines with water it took almost 5 gallons before the output started coming up 0TDS, and my setup is fairly compact.

Thank you, that was my concern.

I think I'm going to go with a very similar set up but move the valves controlling water from the tanks to the pump as close to the pump as possible and then place a "T" in the effluent from the pump as close to the pump as possible and run two lines (one for RO/DI and one for salt water). Two extra valves and and extra line but worth it for me.

What do you do with the water than you drain when switching back and forth?

BNR210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that was my concern.

I think I'm going to go with a very similar set up but move the valves controlling water from the tanks to the pump as close to the pump as possible and then place a "T" in the effluent from the pump as close to the pump as possible and run two lines (one for RO/DI and one for salt water). Two extra valves and and extra line but worth it for me.

What do you do with the water than you drain when switching back and forth?

I do have drains below the level of the pump (see pic below), but I don't use them when I'm switching back and forth. However I didn't really think about saltwater remaining in the pipes because after I do a water change I immediately run/transfer 50-60 gallons of RO/DI from the storage tank into the saltwater tank which I assumed pushed any remaining water in the pipes into the saltwater tank. I have a 210 display tank and a 5 gallon ato reservoir so 1 or 2 gallons of really diluted saltwater in the ato reservoir hasn't affected the level of salt in my display tank.
IMG_0834.JPG

BNR210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind explaining your plumbing set up in some detail? I am looking to set up a similar system.

Yes I would love to however I will have to do it tomorrow. I'm running off a couple hours sleep right now and have to get up early so I have to call it a night.

Thank you for your interest. [emoji16]

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step One) Fill the 5 gallon. And manually move waste water into washing machine.
IMG_2650.JPG
Step Two) Add salt, heater, and power head into bucket.
IMG_2649.JPG
Step Three) White 5 gallon jugs are waste water only. Remove and then add.. :)

Here are my two Brute trash cans. Do you think they can hold enough water?
IMG_2686.JPG

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your tank size. how big are your trash cans?

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread ! But I have a question...
For those of you using the containers that only have the small little black 6" circular port-hole on top, rather than a full size removable lid, How do you clean the container and keep it free from build up over time ?
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG

Back