Salt, water tank problems

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, how is everybody doing? I have a quick question and I personally feel like this is some thing urgent but hopefully somebody could fill me in on the details. So long story short, I noticed my fish was acting a little weird when I got home from work and I also noticed these white little dots. I can also provide a picture of it. But it’s like dots and like a granny sand Look on the outer layer of the fish. Personally, I have no idea what this is and or what to do I would say about an hour later I think my fish is like in the last stages of its life because it’s just like flopping to the bottom then swimming back up to the top, but struggling really hard to do that and would just flop right back to the bottom

IMG_7076.jpeg

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters currently? How long has it had the white dots? Have the white dots moved or are they in the same place? Are any other fish showing signs of sickness? First thing I go to is a case of velvet or ich, hippos are prone to it, a more clear picture may help.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water parameters based on these test kits are

3/13/24
PH- 8.0
Nitrite- NO2- 0
NH3- safe
Nitrate- N03-0
CA2-Calcium- 35
Carbonate-CH-9 - safe
Phospate- 1.0
IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_7386.jpeg

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a protein skimmer and I was waiting for a UV light and I just put that in today
IMG_7382.jpeg

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also update on the fish it died but hopefully from the images, you guys can see what I’m talking about more clearly
IMG_7383.jpeg
IMG_7384.jpeg

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters currently? How long has it had the white dots? Have the white dots moved or are they in the same place? Are any other fish showing signs of sickness? First thing I go to is a case of velvet or ich, hippos are prone to it, a more clear picture may help.
And the white spots from what I was able to see stayed in the same place and I noticed them last night so by this morning/afternoon, the hippo was dead

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the fish/ other things I had in the tank are

2 clown fish

1 bicolor dottyback ( dead now )

1 blood red fire shrimp

2 cleaner shrimp

1 blue eye long spine urchin which started losing its spines and having white dots on the base of the urchin and is dead now for over week and a half

10 or so snails

1 regular blue tang ( dead now )

1 six line wrasse

1 yellow tang is what I think it’s called

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the fish/ other things I had in the tank are

2 clown fish

1 bicolor dottyback ( dead now )

1 blood red fire shrimp

2 cleaner shrimp

1 blue eye long spine urchin which started losing its spines and having white dots on the base of the urchin and is dead now for over week and a half

10 or so snails

1 regular blue tang ( dead now )

1 six line wrasse

1 yellow tang is what I think it’s called
And they also forgot to mention that I have 2 pink cabbage leather corals

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a quick look up on velvet on google and these is what it said

Velvet disease (also called gold-dust, rust and coral disease) is a fish disease caused by dinoflagellate parasites of the genera Amyloodinium in marine fish, and Oodinium in freshwater fish. The disease gives infected organisms a dusty, brownish-gold color.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like velvet. If you have a quarantine tank move all your fish to it and grab some cupramine at the store (that’s what I like using, a lot of other people like copper safe more though, either will work) treat the water with it and leave the fish in there for a couple of weeks. Make sure you’re testing the copper levels to make sure it’s at the recommended level. If you DONT have a quarantine tank you’ll need to treat your display tank - remove all of your invertebrates and add the cupramine and test to make sure it’s at the recommended level for 2 weeks. After that you’ll need to get cuprisorb and place it in a filter bag and in a high flow area and do frequent water changes until there is no copper left. (can take quite a while as copper will seep into your rock and sand) better than having all your fish die though. Lastly, I recommend investing in a hanna copper checker, it’s the safest and most accurate way to ensure copper levels are at the correct level and then back to 0. Do not add inverts back until you’re down to at least 0.03 on the hanna checker or they will die. Keep us updated and I’m sorry for your loss :(

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a little update I know I haven’t been active recently, but I was trying to get my quarantine tank set up. It’s fully set up now. I put all my invertebrates in there because I put copper in the tank to officially kill it or to my understanding to get rid of it or to cure the tank and I will say I did get a small UV sterilizer from Amazon the other day it came in on Saturday night and I will say there is a ready a big difference in the tank but unfortunately the yellow tang did die but my two clown fish and the other fish that’s left. I believe it’s called a 6 line wrasse but he is starting to breed a little heavy I could see from his gills, but I will provide a picture of the copper liquid I used

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back