Salt, water tank problems

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question is there any good wave maker that you guys can recommend for my tank
I used a Maxspect Jump Gyre when I had that tank. The biggest issue with the tank is the bump out AIO in the back, it creates deadspots with traditional wavemakers. So if you go the traditional wavemaker route, you need like 4 of them. Two to provide main flow, and 2 more to keep those back areas with some flow. If you use a Gyre, you only need one and it will do the job well... Get the 2K model of the Gyre and don't put it above 50% forward (you can do 100% reverse though, because reverse isn't anywhere near as powerful as forward gyre motion).

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I currently have it’s a good one, but the only problem with it is that it moves the sand a little if I position it a certain way and makes the water move a lot even at low power/speed

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Maxspect Jump Gyre when I had that tank. The biggest issue with the tank is the bump out AIO in the back, it creates deadspots with traditional wavemakers. So if you go the traditional wavemaker route, you need like 4 of them. Two to provide main flow, and 2 more to keep those back areas with some flow. If you use a Gyre, you only need one and it will do the job well... Get the 2K model of the Gyre and don't put it above 50% forward (you can do 100% reverse though, because reverse isn't anywhere near as powerful as forward gyre motion).
Is this one gonna do that to or is it better with a calmer flow

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uniclife Aquarium Wave Maker for 30-60 Gallon Fish Tanks 1058 GPH Adjustable Circulation Pump with Controller and Strong Magnetic Suction Base Submersible Power Head for Fresh and Salty Water its from amazon​

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uniclife Aquarium Wave Maker for 30-60 Gallon Fish Tanks 1058 GPH Adjustable Circulation Pump with Controller and Strong Magnetic Suction Base Submersible Power Head for Fresh and Salty Water its from amazon​

Ok, so that's a traditional wave-maker. It's important to understand the difference in what you're buying here. I will try to explain, but it may be best to consult the BRS video about different wavemakers and flow patterns to understand thoroughly.

A traditional wavemaker blows out water in a cone shape, that shape gets bigger as the water gets further from the wavemaker and eventually dissipates. So typically, there ends up being a ton of flow directly in front of it for some distance (determined by design) and it dissipates as it travels across the tank, where the water hits the other side of the glass and radiates outward (think of a hose being sprayed against a wall).

A gyre on the other hand shoots a sheet of water across the top of the tank, it's a thin but high velocity sheet, when it hits the other side of the tank, it hits the wall and then moves down along the wall, hits the sand and moves back across the tank along the sand. This is known as a Gyre and where the pump gets its name from.

The 2K pump puts out around 1849 GPH but is controllable (just like your pump) The fact that it shoots across the top of the tank first though means that high flow corals should be placed at the top, and lower flow at the bottom, and it also makes it so your sand doesn't get blown around.

As I stated previously, I had your tank (The Fluval Flex 32.5), I recommended the pump and the settings because that's the same pump I had and the same settings I used. I tried Sicce XDC's, Nero's, and others in that tank, but unless I was willing to buy 4 traditional pumps, there was no way I was going to be able to have the flow I needed for the tank to not have dead spots in the back. The Gyre took care of the deadspot issue all by itself.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh OK see that makes a lot more sense now because it was becoming a bit of a task to position it the right way, so the sand wouldn’t get moved around a lot but now I understand no matter what I do. Basically it will always get the sand but is this the one you’re talking about? image.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh OK see that makes a lot more sense now because it was becoming a bit of a task to position it the right way, so the sand wouldn’t get moved around a lot but now I understand no matter what I do. Basically it will always get the sand but is this the one you’re talking about? image.jpg
Yes, that's the one. You place it on either the left or the right of your tank approximately 1 inch below the surface of the water. Setup the schedule so that forward gyre does not exceed 50% speed, then twist each side to shoot level across the top of the tank, and you're good to go. This unit is manually controlled, not app controlled, they do make an app controlled unit that is a bit more expensive, or you could get the IceCap one that is a carbon copy of the one you've got in that screenshot/picture it just uses a WaveEngine LE controller which is also wifi/app controlled. It's only $299.99 for that one.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I just went ahead and bought the one you recommended. I kind of did some research up on it. It does look a little confusing, I will say that, but everybody says it explains on how to use it and the settings in the manual very clearly, so hopefully that works out for me.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So little update it came in the other day let it run for like a few days just to see how it works and I have to say this is a very high-quality product but a lot of different settings available and it all comes down to whatever your preference of liking is and I have to say it’s very good and I keep mine at around 30% just enough flow to get the tank moving without moving the bottom substrate but I can provide pictures when I get a chance I’ll take some and I’ll show you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back