Saltines 180g Project

dan40b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape, lots of room for corals and for fish to swim. Great job.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape, lots of room for corals and for fish to swim. Great job.

Thanks! The guy I met when I first joined the hobby (sold me my first fish/liverock) helped! Def. not my specialty. So thankful! Love it!

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Stocking List.

Blonde Naso
Hippo
Powder Blue
Yellow
Kole
6-Clowns
6-Chromis
Leopard Wrasse
Melanarus Wrasse
Starry Blenny
2-Green Mandarin
2-Red Dragonet
Sand Sifting Goby
6-Anthias
2-Firefish
2-purple fire fish

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost full!
IMG_2077.JPG

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited for you! The rockscape is looking really cool, and am loving the stand.

Thanks! Two more lights should be in the mail so it should look even better with everything lit up!

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Two more lights should be in the mail so it should look even better with everything lit up!
Awesome! I'm about to setup a 180g too, my stand will be white as well. The whole thing is like in the mail though at the moment, haha. ;):D

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd 2 bulkheads are leaking ugh, just got a call from the wife. Guess I'm working when I get home.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that it was an easy fix! :)

Yea I got lucky!! Now it's leaking from the pipe going into the sump. I didn't glue the pipe to the sump bulkheads, they were so tight to begin with and the fact that the water is just going into the sump, didn't think it needed to be glued. I was wrong, so I'll be glueing that today. But no big deal, as long as I an get it glued and angled correctly before it dries!

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got lucky!! Now it's leaking from the pipe going into the sump. I didn't glue the pipe to the sump bulkheads, they were so tight to begin with and the fact that the water is just going into the sump, didn't think it needed to be glued. I was wrong, so I'll be glueing that today. But no big deal, as long as I an get it glued and angled correctly before it dries!

Thank you for sharing your hiccups because I'm about to attempt pvc plumbing for the first time and it seems very daunting. Any tips?

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your hiccups because I'm about to attempt pvc plumbing for the first time and it seems very daunting. Any tips?

No problem, this is my first time, and wasn't able to find a lot of information on it really. Also my first time with cutting/glueing PVC, although I'm pretty handy.

Tips so far
  • Measure everything. Make duplicates for the opposite side if you have dual overflows/returns.
  • Be careful with the PVC Glue/Primer.
  • Don't get primer/glue on the ends of your unions where they join, harder than it sounds...
  • Lay out a LARGE drop cloth, I laid out too small and now have a primer stain on my carpet....
  • Have plenty of rags/paper towels on hand.
  • Glue Sets QUICK, you have about 5 seconds until it doesn't move, I almost left a Union thread off, but was able to yank the pieces apart, 2 more seconds and I was OMW to the hardware store.
  • Mark your 90's/45's with a pencil to show angle, once you have everything dry fit. Then pull apart, put glue/primer,then use the marks to line it back up.
  • Install your bulkheads to your tank FIRST, tighten them down, then screw/glue into it, my two leaky bulkheads, I believe, were because I attached the unions from the PVC before securing the bulkheads to the tank.
  • I have double threaded bulkheads, most say that's the best for removing later, which may be the case, but screwing in the overflow pipe from above or below, goes opposite your bulkhead... Meaning when you screw into the bulkhead, you're unscrewing it from the tank, so you have to hold it.
  • If I did this again, when I filled the tank, I'd fill the overflow first to test for leaks, so I could deal with that before the tank was full.
If I run into anything else, I'll post here, feel free to ask any specifics during your build, I'll try and assist!

Thanks,
Salt

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back