saltwater guppies

That is wild! Also heard of mollies, but never guppies. How long did it take to raise the salinity?
I acclimated to temp. 15 min and went directly from freshwater from my LFS to 1.007 brackish and my guppies are happier then any I've had in freshwater. Not for the faint of heart but it made sense figuring in the wild salinity can swing to extremes in a few hours with heavy rain or high tides. I included a link to a scienfic paper that I read before attempting. My fish showed zero stress. However, I guess try at your own risk.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...y indicates that,sea water with no mortality.
I know many people do this, but IMO, this is likely greatly stressing their osmotic systems and seems cruel. I'm not a fan. :(
From my research, guppies commonly live in brackish water in the wild and have evolved a specialized osmotic system like all brackish fish in order to deal with such swings without any issue. I have no plan on going to full salt water since they're not true marine fish. I can only talk from my experience and what I interpret as the behavior of the fish from the fw guppies I've raised before. By all means if you think it is cruel, absolutely do not attempt it.
 
I also wanted to add that at the LSF that I buogh them there were many foaters in the tank. I took an educated chance that the quick change would handle any sickness and give them a fighting chance without harm. This was in no way some morbid curiosity. But a chance to test a method that i believed could save some fish that are by some considered dime-a-dozen throw aways.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new