saltwater guppies

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we all have to just agree to disagree on some things. We all love this hobby, and are trying to do best. Call me cold but I don't care a whole lot about guppies. At the same time I understand why some would be concerned for their well being. I don't really mistreat the creatures I feed to my fish because I don't want to make anything suffer. That said I guess I've subjected several feeder live brine to loud aftermarket stereos during the ride home. I doubt they liked the vibration and loud noise.

As I've grown up my stereos have been getting quieter and quieter, so that's good for them.

Last edited:

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies have very little muscle and their body composition is similar to saltwater fish in terms of protein, lipids, saturated fat, la, ala, dha.

Is there any documentation supporting this claim. It is defiantly believable, I will like to read more into it. Here is charts made with data from Department of Agriculture or one of the 18,000 government regulatory committees.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/live-fish-as-food-nutritional-value-concerns.12521/

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt lock!
Why is feeding saltwater guppies bad? I will be curious to read any studies which were done one feeding guppies to saltwater fish.

that was Horns post above, I had responded to it. its relative to the marine vs sw discussion i feel.

I didnt see any subject change :) Im just speaking to cholecalciferol lol not whether sharks should be in fw or poecillids should be in marine. tons of studies those w tediously clicking fingers can find w show why feeding fw to marine isnt wise, to me thats a neat part of the thread to detail. I realize a billion goldfish have been fed to lionfish for years, but thats the implications of doing it.

to find the studies google this
rob toonen feeding freshwater fish to marine fish/lionfish

then it comes up a few links in the page. its at least some type of supporting material that the act is equivalent to living on cheeseburgers and straight lard for marine fish lol. depending on genetics and environ, they might could go a long time.

Regarding the conversion of gupps to sw=i think its neat only because we are exercising an adaptive capability. try doing it w a danio :) thats why i think its cool. not everybody likes to leave their reef drained for 20 mins to exercise that tidal ebb habituation either, but we do just because we can, not to be mean.

Last edited:

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I said I'd bow out, but this personal attack warrants a response.

I'm sorry you cannot see the difference, but it is super clear in my mind, and is certainly not hypocritical.

Adapting guppies to salt water does have proven biochemical changes in their cells. Not sure why you assumed nothing was proven when I mentioned it earlier. Read it for yourself in the scientific literature before claiming otherwise.

I do not think it is at all clear that keeping appropriate marine fish in an appropriate aquarium causes "growth limitations" and need not result in a shorter lifespan. Do you even know the natural average lifespan of the fish I keep? Do you even know what fish I keep? That would seem important before calling me a hypocrite.

Randy,

It was of no intention of mine to personally attack you. Sorry if my post came off with that impression, sincerely.

With that and in response my opinion is still the same. Splitting hairs here a bit but I feel we are just at a difference of opinion. Boil this all down for me it's not just about this post, your fish keeping or husbandry at all. But rather, if converting guppies to salt is considered cruel, our LFS must be satan, this forum the gateway to hell and PETA the savior(s).

At the end it's just where we all draw our lines. Mine, well I don't mind guppies in salt, love most of my local stores (some issues), support keeping fish captive.

Having said that I do not doubt for a second you or anyone else feels the same. Albeit with slightly differing views about some items that occasionally can feel light years away from one another. In reality how far are they really?

In closing, again, I mean no disrespect.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried in the past (once) to try an acclimate a black molly to my tank. After several hours of drip acclimatization to me it felt like a science experiment more so than hobby related. In the end the molly died and I felt terrible afterwards. Yes it only cost me a buck to buy but he was fat and healthy when I got em and would've most likely have thrived in fresh water tank.. So from then I just decided to pass on playing scientist. In short, I feel IMO fresh with fresh, salt with salt.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once acclimated a Duck Billed Platypus, does that count?

image.jpg

Troll of the year sir. Well done! :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somebody post that video of clownfish acclimatized (not) to fw

not saying I agree

am saying it's on tape. using mollies or fw guppies acclimatized to sw as display animals is a neat use of their adaptive heredity, im for it. occasional feed snacks for marine not end of world. decent science shows not to rely on them though as primary feed.

Last edited:

JP1269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive been working on making freshwater guppies saltwater guppie and i finally have success i just slowly raised the salt content of my fresh water tank and now they are completely saltwater fish i noticed they became more vibrant and more sexually active over time i also have a molly in with them
IMG_4794.JPG
Where can you get those I would love to buy 2 pair from you

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of caution on changing mollies to salt: they will begin to breed worse than rabbits. You will find them in your overflows, refugium, sump, and even in you reactors. My largest ones have grown to about five or six inches long. They are aggressive little buggers and will rip food right out of the mouth of your Dendros and terrorize any timid fish.

tazguy25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw it out there I worked for 4 years on the largest Guppy Farm in the US in the 80's & a lot of our new Breeder stock we used to Create new strains of Guppies were from Trinad, Tabago, & The Virgin Islands and were born in Brackish water. We got them from there due to their already Vibrant colors. I Know this as I was the one responsible for Acclimating them back to Fresh levels, Breeding them with Tuxedos & Cobras, and this is where Red Snakeskin & Tequila Sunrises came from.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm been enjoying this back and forth discussion and find it particularly interesting. As an older hobbyist at one time it was quite common to run in new salt water tanks with mollies. I no longer do this but don't recall ever losing a mollie during the run in. They tended to stay near the top of the tank and were always busy pecking at the new algae growth. In my opinion though they always seemed to be working much harder swimming in the higher salinity water. Of course those were black mollies and the true brackish water mollies here along the texas coast are the green mollies. Large silver fish with blue, yellow, and black colors. I've always heard that brackish water fish aren't that sensitive to small salinity changes. The same is probably true for our native killie and pup fishes and I've often wondered why the tougher varieties aren't used to run in marine tanks. Presently when I set up a new tank I always add fresh live rock along with a bit of live rock from an existing tank and a bit of live sand added to the new sand. Let it run for several weeks. Add the clean up crew and slowly add frags a little at a time. Sorry if I got off topic.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read bits and pieces of this thread, so my post is probably not that important, but I have seen many guppies, and molly's in salt and brackish tanks, and appear to thrive better that in fresh. I am not a scientist, and I don't like animal cruelty, but I like my fish tanks, they make me happy, and bring Joy to my life , and my kids life. I will continue to keep fish, and it is the forth of July, and I will be eating some form of meat cooked over a fire of some sort. and I will not lose any sleep over it , probably sleep very well. I just think if you don't like the ideal of keep fish in a tank, fragging coral, or the other aspects of this hobby that this is not the forum to disagree with folks on. Just my 2 cents and it ain't worth much. The old saying goes to approach things with love and understanding, even if you don't agree with them, this approach help to avoid conflict. you don't go to your brothers house and tell him how to raise his kids.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oop dusting off and old thread but @Paul B could you teach me on how to acclimate the brackish fish to saltwater?
Are these guppies reproducing in full salt water? I have kept many mollies, figure 8 puffers, scats, mono's, archerfish, bumblebees etc in full saltwater but they are by nature brackish water fish. Guppies are not and will never be. I have no problem with "you" keeping them in salt water, saw dust or battery acid as many guppies are just bred to feed other things anyway. I would imagine if they are breeding and living 4 or 5 years in full salt water, then I am wrong, and I have been wrong before.
Bumblebee gobies. Cool looking little fish that do well in full salt water. I keep them in my reef occasionally where they live for a year or so. I am not sure how long they normally live as they are small, like 3/4"

Will knight gobies do the same as the bumblebees?
when you say bumblebees are you talking about the Brachygobius?

Tanya1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is okay to put a Guppy that is brackish (brackish 1.0004 - 1.0226)
in full (fresh water 0.0001)?
but not in (saltwater 1.023)?
If they are breeding then they are obviously fine...

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Although guppies can live in freshwater home tanks their natural environment is indeed brackish water. This means that their natural habitat is a mixture between freshwater and saltwater." This from a research paper. Anything that is brackish should be able to live marine.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Mollies in full strenght seawater for years, They BREED Constantly and the fry are immediately introduced to saltwater so I do NOT see an issue. I take this as Success. Black mollies and creamsicles are in my tanks now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back