saltwater guppies

chipsahoy1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is wild! Also heard of mollies, but never guppies. How long did it take to raise the salinity?
I acclimated to temp. 15 min and went directly from freshwater from my LFS to 1.007 brackish and my guppies are happier then any I've had in freshwater. Not for the faint of heart but it made sense figuring in the wild salinity can swing to extremes in a few hours with heavy rain or high tides. I included a link to a scienfic paper that I read before attempting. My fish showed zero stress. However, I guess try at your own risk.

I know many people do this, but IMO, this is likely greatly stressing their osmotic systems and seems cruel. I'm not a fan. :(
From my research, guppies commonly live in brackish water in the wild and have evolved a specialized osmotic system like all brackish fish in order to deal with such swings without any issue. I have no plan on going to full salt water since they're not true marine fish. I can only talk from my experience and what I interpret as the behavior of the fish from the fw guppies I've raised before. By all means if you think it is cruel, absolutely do not attempt it.

chipsahoy1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add that at the LSF that I buogh them there were many foaters in the tank. I took an educated chance that the quick change would handle any sickness and give them a fighting chance without harm. This was in no way some morbid curiosity. But a chance to test a method that i believed could save some fish that are by some considered dime-a-dozen throw aways.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back