Saltwater Newbie!!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonyTank create your own thread with the above post. Start posting and asking questions on your thread so there is kind of a history and reference point. It would also make an interesting read as thinks get figured out

OP
OP
Minime

Minime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonyTank, thanks now how do I go about starting a new thread because I have a lot of questions

TonyTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for welcome. I will try to start a new thread now. I did not intend to hijack that one, just happened to read it and was feeling a wave of frustration. Needed to vent.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonyTank, thanks now how do I go about starting a new thread because I have a lot of questions
Lets say you have a lighting question, go the the lighting forum and click on that link, and way over to the right you will see create new thread.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for welcome. I will try to start a new thread now. I did not intend to hijack that one, just happened to read it and was feeling a wave of frustration. Needed to vent.
I think we can all understand that:cool:

TonyTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to jump in on this thread as well. I have had a "reef tank" myself for several years. I put the word reef in quotes as my experience with my corals has been discouraging; fish have been ok. (all reef safe) Maybe someone can point out my mistakes and help other newbies or like me, Wannabes.
I'm seriously considering selling or converting to fish only. But I hate to admit defeat and love the look of a nice coral tank. I'll give some history.
Got into this rapidly when my kids 5 -6 years and I went to LFS with my brother who had two tanks himself. I had been given a 60 galloon hex tank and had 2 external fluval filters with generally low water flow. Seahorses! Was told vertical tank would be perfect and low water flow as well. Purchased a 150W MH pendant and was off. 6-8 months doing great, then out of ignorance was adding water with salt to make up for evaporation. Not every time, but enough. Mistakenly thought all the white powder accumulating on the tank rim was loss of salt. (it's not) By the way, don't trust the hydrometers.
Decided to upgrade and do corals/fish as my kids loved the colors and purchased a 74 gallon reef ready cube, a 150 w LED (Blueline Phantom) and stand and a sump/refugium. Also have several circulators, recently upgraded those to two wavemakers.
It has been running for about 3 years. I always had difficulty with corals. They tend to deteriorate over time. Montis, gone, zoas even. They just begin to shrink, not open, blanch out. Position in the tank does not appear to help. I have a leather coral and a Hammer that seem to be doing well. Anemones also do not seem to do well and shrink down and eventually die (I know they aren't corals, but I just thought to mention them).
I make my own RODI and have tested it and had it tested a LFS. Had my tank water tested at LFS (a few times). Changed my salt (now using reef crystals).
Went from weekly water changes 8-10% to biweekly with about 5% each time and was then told my tank was too clean. Did less water changes (1x/month). Was introduced to dosing and was told that water changes were not essential. I monitored by mg, CA, all levels daily for 2 weeks then initiated dosing with water changes back to about 1 every 2-3 weeks, mostly just to syphon off the sanded. This all occurred over months of trial and error.
After dosing just a few days, noted high CA, mg and it was suggested to add more of a load to the tank. So I did, several SPS, they are not happy. I stopped dosing.
I keep my sg at 1.026/35, temp 79-80 and parameters; mg, ca, all within specs. Also I adjusted my lighting cycle when I read that there is no need for white light for corals, and that it can be damaging; they need blue light, white is more for show.

I have to admit a few things about myself. I do not want to be a scientist. I will check my parameters regularly but anticipate that if I get to a point of stability, the tank will demand less attention. I just can't seem to find that stability.
I also have gotten pretty discouraged which leads me to less attention to the tank over last couple of weeks.

Wow is this a bummer of a post!
Work to newbies/wannabies; take your time. It seems so easy when you go to LFS and see their displays. Actually, I have to say, I don't find anything in the actual process difficult; but not having definite answers to the problems that can occur is very frustrating. Go slowly.

I started a new thread. Sorry, my intent wasn't to hijack this one.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back