Saltwater storage

Sciencenaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a similar situation... I have a 33 gallon rubbermaid trashcan that I use to mix and store my RODI/Red Sea Coral Pro mixed water. I also use a pump and a heater so that the water is ready to go when needed.

When I first open the lid, there is an "interesting" smell. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near "cat pee" odor but I assume the smell is because the water is being heated and is trying to evaporate but gets trapped by the lid. So it creates a sort of steam that gets released when I open the lid. Once the lid is open, the smell is gone.

Is yours a persistent smell or only when you open the lid?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heated water can begin to smell of "mildew" (for lack of a better term). Is there a slimy feel to the inside of the container, pump, heater, etc...? As some have already said, it's probably better to not heat the water until ready to use. May also help to clean container with bleach between batches (be sure to rinse well and let dry before next use).

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
finding nemo fish GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Lots of great options above. If they don't seem to fit, it may be worth checking the source water and the container. Are you using RODI, and if so, do your filters need be replaced? Could the container be leaching into the water when heated slightly? When you test the water after you've mixed and stored it, are any of the levels off? Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers it seems everytime i store saltwater for a couple weeks it gets a funky smell? I use fritz rpm (blue box), have a heater and pump in there 24/7, also I clean my container after it's all used up everytime. What can i do to stop the funky smell?
Welcome

If I try and store saltwater for more than 2 days, it begins to get funky/moldy smell so now I only mix and use when needed. I try to towel dry my container after usage or wheel outside in sunlight, but I often just leave it to air dry (lazy method). It's been about 6 months since I last cleaned my Brute trashcan with vinegar so your post was a good reminder.

Glad you joined

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back