Saltwater tank Evaporation.

Garryzoanthid

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2023
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
33rd N st San Jose
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knew about salinity dropping when adding fresh water into an evaporated fish tank. Now what I’m dealing with is that half of my saltwater fish tank was evaporated. Although I know that evaporated saltwater just leaves salt behind. So I’m just wondering if anybody knows if the salinity drops or stays the same when adding freshwater to an evaporated saltwater fish tank. I even plan on doing a water change. I have live fish in the fish tank aswell.
 
Sounds like you have a reasonable understanding already.

Tank water evaporates, leaving it slightly saltier… you top-off with fresh water, diluting the slightly saltier-ness, bringing the tank back to normal levels.
 
Yes it fluctuates.

As water evaporates, the salinity/sg increase.

When evaporated water is replaced/topped off with an amount equal to evaporation, the sg will return to where it was.
So would I simply just have to add freshwater to the fish tank to keep it at the same level as it was before it was evaporated?
 
Definitely look into getting an ATO; there are plenty of cheap options that will saves you tons of time, effort and salinity fluctuations!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new