Saltwater vs Freshwater What are the differences?

nicisareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Messages
79
Reaction score
43
Location
booragoon
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just set up a caradina shrimp tank, and I'm still working on fixing my red sea 300xl, what are your experiences with both these sides of the hobby. I'd like to hear your opinions! 🤨
 
I have 5 shrimps tanks from 8 oz to 25 gallons tank and 4 reef tanks. Some how I just spent my time looking at the reef more. The shrimps and fishes ( fresh water) are healthy eating but not much to look at in my opinion
 
I have just set up a caradina shrimp tank, and I'm still working on fixing my red sea 300xl, what are your experiences with both these sides of the hobby. I'd like to hear your opinions! 🤨
I'd like to follow this 🙂

I keep both freshwater and saltwater tanks 🙂
 
Salt can be considerably more expensive, especially if you get bit by the coral bug or fall down the automation / tech gear hole then it can add up quickly. I kept both for a while (just freshwater fish not shrimp) but now only keep salt. There's more to keep track of with salt and small changes can make a big difference and bad things happen quickly and good things not fast enough lol. I run my systems very simple but they're still quite a bit more involved than my fresh water systems were.

PS. I recently moved out of my ailing 300xl
PXL_20260510_171216765.MP~3.jpg
 
I enjoy both, i keep two reefs and three 12 gallon barrel ponds where i breed fancy strains of swordtails
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new