Salty Fingers

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got what was available through reef cleaners with my most recent CUC order. Some point I'll order from gulf coast ecosystems or another dedicated macro collector.

OP
OP
courtneykeeps

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably have a bit of an edge on availability being in the states, since I can order from folks that harvest in the gulf and keys. Kudos for doing a macro tank in London!
Yeah I can't lie, I'm very envious of the selection you have in the states! But I won't give up, I'm sure some new species still become available at sommmme point.

For now, I'll make the best of what I've got!

OP
OP
courtneykeeps

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiatus

I was busy arranging an aquatic life event at the start of summer which was immediately followed by a lot of holiday and me feeling quite down! Needless to say, the saltwater aquarium got neglected hard.

IMG_4936_jpg.jpeg

I've managed to clean up the tank and get it back to a respectable level. It's looking quite scraggly at the moment since I removed most of the Cryptonemia crenulata (literally a bucket full). I feel like it needs colour balancing? There's lots of red/green/pink and nothing else. Need some orange and yellow to bring it back - any recommendations??

IMG_4939.jpeg

Back in March, I decided to get a Mandarin dragonet to help tackle the flatworm issue. The shop manager told me it's 50:50 whether it would do anything, but to my delight it has cleared the tank of any flatworms and I've not seen one since! I also got a beautiful Mandarin as a result. Weirdly, it shows no interest in live copepods that I add but is a keen eater of frozen mysis, frozen lobster eggs, live tubifex and live whiteworms which is a relief. He's been living in the tank for 5 months now, so far so good.

IMG_2286.jpeg

I'm also battling a brown algae problem which I think it's hair algae? Maybe diatoms? I'm assuming it's because of water quality but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions on how to combat it, I'd welcome it!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiatus

I was busy arranging an aquatic life event at the start of summer which was immediately followed by a lot of holiday and me feeling quite down! Needless to say, the saltwater aquarium got neglected hard.

IMG_4936_jpg.jpeg

I've managed to clean up the tank and get it back to a respectable level. It's looking quite scraggly at the moment since I removed most of the Cryptonemia crenulata (literally a bucket full). I feel like it needs colour balancing? There's lots of red/green/pink and nothing else. Need some orange and yellow to bring it back - any recommendations??

IMG_4939.jpeg

Back in March, I decided to get a Mandarin dragonet to help tackle the flatworm issue. The shop manager told me it's 50:50 whether it would do anything, but to my delight it has cleared the tank of any flatworms and I've not seen one since! I also got a beautiful Mandarin as a result. Weirdly, it shows no interest in live copepods that I add but is a keen eater of frozen mysis, frozen lobster eggs, live tubifex and live whiteworms which is a relief. He's been living in the tank for 5 months now, so far so good.

I'm also battling a brown algae problem which I think it's hair algae? Maybe diatoms? I'm assuming it's because of water quality but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions on how to combat it, I'd welcome it!
Those could be dinos. Without a proper ID, its hard to recommend a course of action. What are you Po4 and No3 levels? I suspect with all that macro algae absorbing nutrients, they could have bottomed out.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hiatus

IMG_4936_jpg.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

The tank looks beautiful IMO! I don't have any good suggestions for additions.

Love the mandarin! Crazy that you got one that actually prefers frozen OVER live foods!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiatus

IMG_4936_jpg.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

That is one great looking mandarin!

OP
OP
courtneykeeps

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those could be dinos. Without a proper ID, its hard to recommend a course of action. What are you Po4 and No3 levels? I suspect with all that macro algae absorbing nutrients, they could have bottomed out.
Oh yeah, I don't know why I never considered that too.

Unfortunately I don't have any super accurate tests, only the Salifert ones. But I'll do a test of the nitrate and phosphate and see.
The tank looks beautiful IMO! I don't have any good suggestions for additions.

Love the mandarin! Crazy that you got one that actually prefers frozen OVER live foods!
Thank you!

Yeah he's very strange and I'm very lucky
Tank looks good. there are yellow, orange, and blue sponges out there that would give you interesting color and texture variety.
Thanks! That would nice! Can you just buy them from shops?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That would nice! Can you just buy them from shops?
This side of the pond, they aren't everywhere, but I've seen them around.
@i cant think and @Nman may have ideas for finding them.

gorgonians too may be worth looking into. Iff they're there.

OP
OP
courtneykeeps

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could possibly be dinos.

The algae is brown, slimy and wavey and is mostly attached to macroalgae but is also on some parts of my gorgonian.

I tested my nitrate and phosphate. The phosphate was low but present (I suspect from the frozen foods I feed?), but the nitrates were basically non existent.

IMG_4949.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase nitrates to a good level? My nitrates used to be way too high (50+) so I'm surprised that it's now rock bottom.

I used to dose Tropica Premium which is NPK + Trace but I'm pretty sure the nitrates are very low in that anyway.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could possibly be dinos.

The algae is brown, slimy and wavey and is mostly attached to macroalgae but is also on some parts of my gorgonian.

I tested my nitrate and phosphate. The phosphate was low but present (I suspect from the frozen foods I feed?), but the nitrates were basically non existent.

IMG_4949.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase nitrates to a good level? My nitrates used to be way too high (50+) so I'm surprised that it's now rock bottom.

I used to dose Tropica Premium which is NPK + Trace but I'm pretty sure the nitrates are very low in that anyway.
you can always throw a piece raw cocktail shrimp in your sump and monitor your nitrate levels. they should start to increase. Remove when they get where you want.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back