Salty Pepper IM SR 120 Build

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Status:
IMG_0843.jpeg

After 10 years out of the hobby it’s time to jump back in. Ordered a IM SR 120 in late April to start a reef tank. Have a few months to slowly accumulate items and figure out what I would like for corals, Aquascaping, and fish while the build the tank.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back and congratulations on the new adventure!!!

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I have been slowly getting supplies together waiting for the tank to ship from IM. Well Friday is the date the shipping company will be dropping it off. After I get the stand assembled and the tank on it I will take some photos.

I an suggests for some insperation for aquascaping a shallow reef?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After completing the leak test and leveling I have finally got the rock structure built for habit for the fish and corals.
IMG_0311.jpeg
Looks awesome! I so wanted the 120, but had to reality check myself (office tank). What are you planning on there? With that kind of length, you can get a lot of good swimmers!

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see another IM120 build! Curious how you leveled? I went a little overboard w/my IM120—perhaps—and used a feeler gauge to get an idea of pressure between the tank and stand. This caused me to make all sorts of adjustments and not sure if I made things better or worse.

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I so wanted the 120, but had to reality check myself (office tank). What are you planning on there? With that kind of length, you can get a lot of good swimmers!
Thanks! I am planning on keeping a Convict, Naso, Desjardini Salfin, two clown fish (have not decided which type yet, had tomatto clowns years ago), three Banggai Cardinals, 6 line wrasse, file fish (might have to take him out if he starts nipping at my corals), and a diamond goby. Once the tangs get to be a bit big for the tank they will go to a friends larger tank and I will get some smaller ones again.

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see another IM120 build! Curious how you leveled? I went a little overboard w/my IM120—perhaps—and used a feeler gauge to get an idea of pressure between the tank and stand. This caused me to make all sorts of adjustments and not sure if I made things better or worse.
The nice thing was the concrete floor in the kitchen was fairly level so I first checked the stand by itself with my 6' Stabila then put the tank on checked it agian. Once I filled it up with water I had to shim the right side towards the wall with a composite shim just a hair.

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it all hooked up, sand and water in. And will start my fishless cycle for a two months with Dr Tim’s. Already can see that I will need some larger sand in the front.

Will eventually hang the two Atlantic iCon’s that BRS was selling as open box since the box was had water damage. Nice score since the inside was not damaged. Probably will make a nice wooden open frame that hides them.
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly coming along. Have some fish in a tank watching them for any signs of illness right now.

IMG_0698.jpeg

As for the display tank I am still just have it empty with Dr Tim’s seeded and a decaying fresh shrimp. Well maybe more than on shrimp since I have had to replace it more than once since I started it in early August.

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally started working on building a fixture to hang the lights. Have to Orphek Atlantik lights and am making the frame have room for future expansion (either T5 on each side or led strips).
IMG_0708.jpeg

Drew up a quick plan on how I want to build the aluminum frame that will hole the lights and the have a cedar box without the yo and bottom around it to hide the lights.

IMG_0714.jpeg

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0717.jpeg

Well part of the hanging system for the lights is done just have to add the cantilevers for the future led strip lights on the side and make the wooden facade.

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the lights hung just need to build a nice wooden facade for them to hide it but till now the tanks has lights.
IMG_0742.jpeg

Also finally started adding the x10 controller I bought so rerouted everything to a nice display box I built for under the stand.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! What kind of food are you going with other than the multi MightyJets?
Thanks!
Food: mixture of fresh salmon a shrimp that a I put in my food processor and then froze.
Flow: I have the two Maxspect 350 gyres in the tank

OP
OP
saltypepper

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Naso in today from Reef Beauties and have him in the 40 gal QT.
Also got some urchins too!

image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0821.mov
    20.7 MB

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back