Same floor, remote sump design questions

Chuck310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 310 gallon mixed reef with the sump under the tank. Based on a number of reasons, I want to move this to a remote location (climate controlled garage closet). I cannot use gravity from the tank to the sump for water flow as I have to plumb up and down over a 9ft door and about a 45ft line run. First, does anyone have a design like this? Second, I was thinking the following: Plumb an Abyzz 200 under the tank (obviously dry) to push water to the sump and another Abyzz 200 pump by the sump to push water back to the tank. Theoretically this should work, but how would you handle safety/protections from one side overflowing and how would you dynamically control flow (assuming that is needed). I will likely use ultrasonic sensors to monitor and shut down pumps, but I would like them to be able to ramp pumps up and down depending on the flow needed to keep things at the proper level. Let me know.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685053887095.png

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it means he is bumping your thread to the top where maybe someone with some more knowledge may see it. However my opinion is that it will not work, no two pumps are made the same regardless if same brand, heck even two pumps just one serial number apart won’t flow at the same rate. Then you have to figure in how neither pump will get dirty and slow down at the same rate. Gravity is going to need to be involved to get water into the sump. The flow down into the sump is based on the return rate of the pump going back into the tank assuming the drains can handle more water than the return pump can push back up.

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 310 gallon mixed reef with the sump under the tank. Based on a number of reasons, I want to move this to a remote location (climate controlled garage closet). I cannot use gravity from the tank to the sump for water flow as I have to plumb up and down over a 9ft door and about a 45ft line run. First, does anyone have a design like this? Second, I was thinking the following: Plumb an Abyzz 200 under the tank (obviously dry) to push water to the sump and another Abyzz 200 pump by the sump to push water back to the tank. Theoretically this should work, but how would you handle safety/protections from one side overflowing and how would you dynamically control flow (assuming that is needed). I will likely use ultrasonic sensors to monitor and shut down pumps, but I would like them to be able to ramp pumps up and down depending on the flow needed to keep things at the proper level. Let me know.
Don't attempt running two pumps with matched flow. They won't match no matter what.

However, you technically could use gravity in this situation, via a manually started siphon. Think of your situation as an old style hang on back overflow.... But huge. You'd likely need a heck of a vacuum pump hooked up to restart that siphon after a power outage though, which is dicey.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back