OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have been pretty hands off with the tanks for the past while for better or worse.
Just managed to spend some time.... added the pump for the frag tank and cleaned the gyre again.
Took down the ReefBreeder and put in the second XR15 I won from the RIPTIDE event. DIY'd a custom mount for them with stuff I had laying about. Also put my coral swap sign up... its printed with UV reactive filament and has blue light strips along it so the letters glow. Frees up a lot of space having it hung somewhere.
I procrastinated feeding Timmy till the afternoon the other day and he ripped an encrusted acro that was doing great off the rock. He must've rubbed it around the torch because it was mostly STN when I saw it... Couldn't have been down more then a few hours...
IMG_6294.JPEG
IMG_6295.JPEG
IMG_6296.JPEG
IMG_6297.JPEG
IMG_6298.JPEG
IMG_6300.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The frag pump blew out its zip-tie-d pipe-clamp and shot a ton of water out of the sump. it killed the DP-4 doser and luckily nothing else that I can tell. I've hooked up a used BRS 1.1ml/minute doser I picked up awhile ago so hopefully that's able to handle my kalk requirements. I have another but I think the tube is shot.
I luckily had enough replacement saltwater on-hand to replace what went down the floor drain.
sucked mopping at 2am but I'm glad I heard it when I came downstairs for a kid's water.
my pH graph indicates Armageddon occurred but I am attributing that to the extreme water aeration in that chamber (pump is in the same chamber as the sensors).
pH is low now because it went without Kalk for 7hours.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag pump blew out its zip-tie-d pipe-clamp and shot a ton of water out of the sump. it killed the DP-4 doser and luckily nothing else that I can tell. I've hooked up a used BRS 1.1ml/minute doser I picked up awhile ago so hopefully that's able to handle my kalk requirements. I have another but I think the tube is shot.
I luckily had enough replacement saltwater on-hand to replace what went down the floor drain.
sucked mopping at 2am but I'm glad I heard it when I came downstairs for a kid's water.
my pH graph indicates Armageddon occurred but I am attributing that to the extreme water aeration in that chamber (pump is in the same chamber as the sensors).
pH is low now because it went without Kalk for 7hours.
sorry :(

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
haha I'm at fault. zip-ties wouldn't hold forever... I got complacent because they work on the return pump... I forget that's wedged against the bottom of the sump so it cannot go anywhere. I had it turned up to max then had a reduction fitting to go from 1.25" to 1/2"...
I was intending to move to the BRS doser eventually... nothing like necessity to force the hand.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
have you ever had issue getting you Apex salinity probe calibrated? I tried several times over the week using the netptune solution packets and just kept getting the error message.
no. maybe soak it in RODI for awhile? swish it about to get any air out. I know air bubbles and bristle worms throw off the readings so make sue to get all those out. a hack I saw for the air bubbles is to keep it submerged upside down but I havent tried it.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. maybe soak it in RODI for awhile? swish it about to get any air out. I know air bubbles and bristle worms throw off the readings so make sue to get all those out. a hack I saw for the air bubbles is to keep it submerged upside down but I havent tried it.
I will try all that thanks.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Having to manually add 60ml 2 part alk to tank in several doses throughout the day just to maintain alkalinity. New doser tubes for my BRS Dosers on the way so I've been procrastinating getting the second doser hooked-up. But guess it cannot wait.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I spoke with the person on OfferUp about those tanks... they said they usually sell them for 3.8k but they're trying to empty their warehouse hence the crazy deal.
I asked if I could hire their people to help me move the tank to me basement and how much that'd be.
Want Joes or an IM but price and convenience may trump it if I can get spousal approval.

Hooked up the second BRS doser... its a little loud but hopefully it'll get the job done.
with both dosers installed it should be putting around 133ml/h into the tank. so over time it'll get my alk back to where I want it instead of high 6s/low 7s... :(
IMG_6311.jpeg

Nothing is dying besides the Walt Disney acro that was doing great... I still have one little frag of that.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Changed all my DI resin! (4 total...) actually printed out a DI funnel and tamper this time.
IMG_6404.jpeg

Designed and built a gravity filter out of 1/2" PVC board for someone.
IMG_6414.jpeg

It spans their 180 Gallon sump. May not have the necessary throughput but will try it. Need to get my bigger cnc built!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finished the gravity filter! It ships today. Still have no idea what to price it at... similar items are going for much more... My wife always says to just double the price from what I think it should be...
already thought of a way to make it way easier to load the floss.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back