OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some coral photos with my cellphone & filter-kit.

new head on my Duncan! to the left just under the big one.
IMG_9702.JPEG IMG_9705.JPEG IMG_9710.JPEG
Superman sps not angry.
IMG_9704.JPEG IMG_9708.JPEG
super jiggly neon candycane
IMG_9706.JPEG
zoas are out - till I knocked their tray
IMG_9707.JPEG

Cant wait to setup my doser!

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral photos with my cellphone & filter-kit.

new head on my Duncan! to the left just under the big one.
IMG_9702.JPEG IMG_9705.JPEG IMG_9710.JPEG
Superman sps not angry.
IMG_9704.JPEG IMG_9708.JPEG
super jiggly neon candycane
IMG_9706.JPEG
zoas are out - till I knocked their tray
IMG_9707.JPEG

Cant wait to setup my doser!
What are you going to dose?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are you going to dose?
mainly kalkwasser until I have a better idea what to dose. I have 2 32fl.oz. of B-Ionic 2-part with a 2014 date on it from the prior owner ;) not sure if I should toss it or experiment with it.
I plan to dose in the early morning when my pH is at its lowest. trying to mitigate the swings. I should probably switch my refugium to counter day/night instead of on all the time to help with the swings as well.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mainly kalkwasser until I have a better idea what to dose. I have 2 32fl.oz. of B-Ionic 2-part with a 2014 date on it from the prior owner ;) not sure if I should toss it or experiment with it.
I plan to dose in the early morning when my pH is at its lowest. trying to mitigate the swings. I should probably switch my refugium to counter day/night instead of on all the time to help with the swings as well.
I’m not a fan of Kalkwasser - pain in the neck to regulate. Your corals look great and I would recommend Tropic Marin All For Reef. You can dose this stuff once a day and your corals will love you for it!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thanks! these guys are close.
*cry* Amazon still a better deal for 3lb bag for delivery.
Though I may be able to pickup at their store which would be awesome!
Good excuse to take the kids to Middlefork Savanna Forest Preserve or Lake Bluff Beach; I'll have to call them.
I'm planning on doing recirculating so don't plan on needing that much media to get started.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the place to get bulk soda lime: https://jorvet.com/ ~ 3lbs for $7.80 or 5 gallons for $87
Not feasible if only getting 3lbs though :( $26 shipping (gets better the more you buy) on 3lb $71 shipping on 5 gallons

hmm checking this now... https://www.thomasnet.com/products/soda-lime-44285302-1.html -- no luck finding local supplier here - wonder if there would be a good spot in the forums to compile a list of industrial chemical suppliers that have stuff useful for reefers.
Why not just go with brs 2 part w/soda ash, thats what I use its super easy and relatively inexpensive

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why not just go with brs 2 part w/soda ash, thats what I use its super easy and relatively inexpensive
I need to look into that some more. I don't know what the soda ash is for yet - or I forgot ;D
I was planning to scrub my skimmer co2 with the soda lime.

Your thought on whether B-Ionic goes bad? or not even worth messing around with it.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My cleaner shrimp may be having issues molting. I'd hate to have to euthanize him. he's laying on his back pulling at his legs with his foreclaws. I added Iodide to the QT tank but no luck yet. I heard its a Mg deficiency or it could be that he has been postponing his molt too long because of the cramped quarters.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to look into that some more. I don't know what the soda ash is for yet - or I forgot ;D
I was planning to scrub my skimmer co2 with the soda lime.

Your thought on whether B-Ionic goes bad? or not even worth messing around with it.
I dont think it does with a tight fitting lid but I could be wrong for that long...but I always force the start of dosing so sooner the better IMO, it will push coraline algae to start forming
My cleaner shrimp may be having issues molting. I'd hate to have to euthanize him. he's laying on his back pulling at his legs with his foreclaws. I added Iodide to the QT tank but no luck yet. I heard its a Mg deficiency or it could be that he has been postponing his molt too long because of the cramped quarters.
Mine always molt a day or two after a water change, or once a month atleast

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After further reading, metroplex messes with them. I recently whipped-up a batch of Metroplex-soaked food and have been feeding it heavily so that may explain it. He stands a chance. Been in the sump - I've transferred all the fish out of QT. When he was doing bad I thought it was a water volume / crowding issue and I have been happy with all the critters in QT otherwise. Pretty irresponsible. Oh well.
I am hopeful he'll recover... but then I think I'll need to relocate the Purple Dottyback because he was camping the shrimp's acclimation box and biting at anything sticking out. hence the move to sump.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
DIY Filter floss roller revamp

The motor mount/case with the random metal I found that will work as a collar. I tapped and threaded it to take an m3.
IMG_9711.JPEG
Used floss roll spool in position over the motor case. The collar and grub screw are integrated into this part.
IMG_9717.JPEG
Filter floss roller ready to go. There is a disposable sleeve that slides down around the spent floss spool that the floss is attached to.
IMG_9723.JPEG IMG_9724.JPEG IMG_9726.JPEG
Installed.
IMG_9728.JPEG IMG_9729.JPEG IMG_9730.JPEG
I am very happy with it so far but have already identified some things I can improve. Also, it may benefit from having a timer circuit making it advance the floss in larger increments to prevent jitter.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is an issue, due to the weight of the water, where the spool pulls down disputing the alignment and pulling the floss off-center. I've added the side support to help mitigate this but I think the problem is severe enough to require a rebuild.
The new design will be narrower so there will be less overall water in the catchment area. This will reduce the water weight pushing against the floss so in-theory it should be easier to roll-up and less likely to pull enough to misalign the roller.
IMG_9743.JPEG

my skunk cleaner shrimp is looking pretty rough. he may not make it either... dang. brings my 2 week total fish loss to 1 cardinal fish, a wrasse, and a shrimp.... I haven't seen the court jester goby since the first day... hope I didn't grind him up too... Surprisingly the green-stripe goby is accounted for.. He just hangs out on the back glass so I can sometimes spot him.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an issue, due to the weight of the water, where the spool pulls down disputing the alignment and pulling the floss off-center. I've added the side support to help mitigate this but I think the problem is severe enough to require a rebuild.
The new design will be narrower so there will be less overall water in the catchment area. This will reduce the water weight pushing against the floss so in-theory it should be easier to roll-up and less likely to pull enough to misalign the roller.
IMG_9743.JPEG

my skunk cleaner shrimp is looking pretty rough. he may not make it either... dang. brings my 2 week total fish loss to 1 cardinal fish, a wrasse, and a shrimp.... I haven't seen the court jester goby since the first day... hope I didn't grind him up too... Surprisingly the green-stripe goby is accounted for.. He just hangs out on the back glass so I can sometimes spot him.

Very impressive on your diy filter roller!!!

What’s going with the livestock?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, I lost one of the 4 cardinalfish in QT - I think I did a water change with slightly warm water and he was already weakened by a salinity thing at the LFS.
The Cleaner shrimp ate food with Metroplex/focus in it and hasn't been the same since. Now he is just laying on his side.
The 6-line wrasse was in my powerhead when it turned on and lived paralyzed for about 5 minutes.
and the court jester goby is just MIA - I think the damsel and purple dottyback were too aggressive for him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back