Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about this all; It may be charma... The other day my kid gouged someone else's car when he went to open his door in a parking lot... I showed him responsibility and we left a note for the other person and we are paying for the damage to their car despite being able to just pull away and carry on with our day... Since my decision to do that, a ton of cool stuff has been happening. could also just be coincidence...
Absolutely everything happens for a reason, as little as it may be, its a piece to a big puzzle :cool:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, and here is a series of photos of the tank with the new Noopsyche K7 V3 lights at various settings with random filter on my phone camera (I also took a bunch on my big camera):
IMG_9903.JPEG IMG_9914.JPEG IMG_9905.JPEG IMG_9904.JPEG
IMG_9907.JPEG IMG_9906.JPEG
Tank is looking good nice fish load!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank is looking good nice fish load!
Thanks! Its really fun to watch now that I've gotten the 4 Anthias in!
I have a striped blenny in QT and a foxface rabbitfish in the mail soon from Live Aquaria.
Then I'll take it easy on the fish (unless I see more cool nano fish like the green stripe goby.)
The nano-fish in a large aquarium are cool because when you see one its a treat.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dangit; just spent a bunch of time selecting images from my dedicated camera and went to upload them and they errored out saying too big. I'm discouraged so will post them another time.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dangit; just spent a bunch of time selecting images from my dedicated camera and went to upload them and they errored out saying too big. I'm discouraged so will post them another time.
Ok, I found a cool plugin for the free image manipulation app I use (open source Photoshop) The Gimp.
The plugin will allow me to batch process images so I can resize all the images I have or, convert their RAW images to the appropriate size. I haven't tried it yet but given its in Gimp it'll probably be fine.

BIMP. Batch Image Manipulation Plugin for GIMP

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get to check on the tank throughout the day. I, instead went to CMAS and got a ton of new livestock. Its all in QT now, as are the new coral frags.

I forgot all the corals so maybe people can help me out when I post better pics of them. I went a little nuts with the dips because a few of the corals had worms, which I am trying to keep out of my tank, one of the frags was dripping flatworms too...

SO I got a bunch of astrea snails,
a banded coral shrimp
another emerald crab,
an arrow crab
and a peppermint shrimp.
I also got 4 Lyretail anthias.

So, I'm pretty excited; the anthias have already been in QT for 8 weeks according to Tom @ Mermaids Cove.

Nonetheless, I didn't want to deal with acclimating too much so I matched their salinity in my QT and put the fish there for observation. The crustaceans, snails, and corals I put my other QT and hooked up a Galaxy Hydro light.

I'll up the fish's salinity tomorrow and promote them to the DT if all looks well with them; they've already eaten a bunch.
IMG_9916.JPEG IMG_9918.JPEG IMG_9920.JPEG IMG_9935.JPEG

IMG_9928.JPEG
IMG_9922.JPEG
NICE arrow crab! Hows it doing?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
He is doing great despite me not being ready to run another QT at a reasonable temperature. One of my corals bleached-out because of my noobishness. I put an unregulated heater in the tank to get it up to temp then bedtime with the kids ran long.
All my crustaceans are a little more red but they've all made it. I have a better heater now. will get more photos up! :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The files will need to be trimmed. Obviously. I don't know the max size of file. But, I use nothing over 4700 pixles. I get tired of "The uploaded image is too big" message. I am not sure if it goes off of MB's either. Direct files from the phone work. If I use the digital camera, I have to edit.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In-order Photo Dump!
CMAS show frags and CUC:
IMG_9997.JPEG IMG_9999.JPEG
I've bleached the frag in the lower right. lower left frag has some wandering skin... I let the temp get up to 82 degrees so I am lucky more aren't dead - the shrimp and crab are ok, just hiding. I have a new heater now.

My foxface rabitfish from Live Aquaria - partially paid for by a win of the February R2R supporter drawing. He is doing well in QT. Despite what folks are saying, Live Aquaria delivered the fish in great shape with wonderful packaging. I video-d the unboxing and may have it on my YouTube channel. He is sharing his QT with a striped blenny.
IMG_9963.JPEG

I found my striped goby and my court jester goby in the overflow again... I am going to sump my damselfish. He is irritating the Anthias too. No luck so far.
IMG_9973.JPEG

Adam at Battlecorals hooked me up; these are insane frags. They were so clean too. Didn't even need to dip them.
IMG_0013.JPEG IMG_0012.JPEG IMG_0009.JPEG IMG_0010.JPEG IMG_0014.JPEG

I am still besides myself. I said one or two frags for the work I did for him; Adam was very generous; I am super appreciative. The Bgum digi (#4) had a few flakes that I glued to a frag plug and I found a hard glowing bit at the bottom of my bucket that I also glued to a frag plug.
IMG_0007.JPEG

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It split! 1st sign I'm doing something right!
Last night I took this because I was going to ask if I should move it.
IMG_0016.JPEG
This morning
IMG_0022.JPEG

I Hope it doesn't kill my monticap.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In-order Photo Dump!
CMAS show frags and CUC:
IMG_9997.JPEG IMG_9999.JPEG
I've bleached the frag in the lower right. lower left frag has some wandering skin... I let the temp get up to 82 degrees so I am lucky more aren't dead - the shrimp and crab are ok, just hiding. I have a new heater now.

My foxface rabitfish from Live Aquaria - partially paid for by a win of the February R2R supporter drawing. He is doing well in QT. Despite what folks are saying, Live Aquaria delivered the fish in great shape with wonderful packaging. I video-d the unboxing and may have it on my YouTube channel. He is sharing his QT with a striped blenny.
IMG_9963.JPEG

I found my striped goby and my court jester goby in the overflow again... I am going to sump my damselfish. He is irritating the Anthias too. No luck so far.
IMG_9973.JPEG

Adam at Battlecorals hooked me up; these are insane frags. They were so clean too. Didn't even need to dip them.
IMG_0013.JPEG IMG_0012.JPEG IMG_0009.JPEG IMG_0010.JPEG

I am still besides myself. I said one or two frags for the work I did for him; Adam was very generous; I am super appreciative. The Bgum digi (#4) had a few flakes that I glued to a frag plug and I found a hard glowing bit at the bottom of my bucket that I also glued to a frag plug.
IMG_0007.JPEG
I don't know much about sticks. But those are pretty :star-struck:

I had to blow my screen up to try to see what these were :winking-face-with-tongue:
IMG_0014.JPEG

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know much about sticks. But those are pretty :star-struck:

I had to blow my screen up to try to see what these were :winking-face-with-tongue:
IMG_0014.JPEG
hehe me neither but that is what I got paid in (my own preference) so I will be learning fast or killing a buncha nice corals.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about this all; It may be charma... The other day my kid gouged someone else's car when he went to open his door in a parking lot... I showed him responsibility and we left a note for the other person and we are paying for the damage to their car despite being able to just pull away and carry on with our day... Since my decision to do that, a ton of cool stuff has been happening. could also just be coincidence...
Nice to know their are still good people who do the rigjt thing when no one is watching.
Outstanding my friend.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice to know their are still good people who do the rigjt thing when no one is watching.
Outstanding my friend.
Thanks! A cool thing about this was that because My Wife and I have not been in any accidents and our car was undamaged it didn't cost us anything (not even deductible) and doesn't increase our insurance.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
checked out a local pet store that was near the donut place I went to this morning and they had a Bumblebee Goby for $3.99 I asked if that price was right; it was; I have another goby! :) Now I need a pistol shrimp!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IMG_0036.JPEG IMG_0030.JPEG
Just a little guy. He and the greenstripe can be best friends... both are max 2" pico tank fodder. but when you see one of these small guys in a large tank you feel lucky... I need to get my damsel out so he stops scaring all my peaceful fish into the overflows.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back