OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I really like the loud snapping sounds the pistol shrimps make. You’ll love them.
cool! I cant wait! I hope they don't irritate my wife :)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool! I cant wait! I hope they don't irritate my wife :)
This little dude is a work horse. I will come home and he has rearrange my sand several times.

Also, loose frags are never safe :winking-face: :grinning-squinting-face:
CCDED4C4-9B21-499B-8793-4B6ACB9AB223.jpeg

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2 weeks; That is what I get out of a Pellon 910 Sew-In Featherweight Interfacing 20" x 10 yd Bolt. so, for $16 I get the bolt, cut it into 4 5" sections and glue two together to get a 2 week roll; I will see if I can get a whole month on the filter roller. So polishing my water will cost me about $5/week- I may put the float valve higher to see how long I can make it last. The motor is plenty strong to pull the weight. I also removed the shims that would keep the roll angled - they messed with the alignment (I overcorrected for my prior problem). I have to print more disposable plastic slide-on roll-up-rolls.
IMG_0037(1).JPEG
I've proceduralized my Kalkwasser dosing to make it easy. Just use two vinegar jugs that I pre-mix. I made a lid with hard tubing that stops 1" from the bottom so I don't get the precipitate. This will make it easy to dose kalk and 2-part in the space I have.
IMG_0039(1).JPEG
Added another bottle of ARCReef coralline algae. I think my salinity drop from my last vacation killed all the purple spores... this round is pink. hope I can do better on stability this time... I have the apex setup to turn off the skimmer if things go awry.

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got through a 4 hour power outage. All ok so far. Will check back in a day... I now own a generator. :)
Every time there is a chance of a power outage, my husband immediate concern is all the meat in the deep freezer and mine is the fish tanks… hahahaha priorities. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I may return it. I didn't have a chance to open it. I havent had an outage that long since I lived here (6yrs). I have about an hour battery backup for my circulation pump. More if I tie into my house's backup sump pump battery.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I modified my kalk dosing schedule (upped it) and added two more things being dosed. 1ml twice daily each of iodide and coral-vite (2ml/day each).
IMG_0057.JPEG

Got some really good phytoplankton and Guillard's f/2 so I'm going to start culturing phyto and probably pods.
IMG_0045.JPEG

Don't know what's going on with my coral... I took these photos during the power outage with a flashlight. I may be giving it too much light. Probably all my LPS corals should be moved when I put in the 3rd Noopsyche.
IMG_0053.JPEG IMG_0056.JPEG IMG_0052.JPEG

My goodness its gotten big... I need to pull it. he grows about 1/4" a day...
IMG_0063.JPEG

*sadface*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hereby decree victory over my damselfish! It was a long, hard battle. Now all the peaceful fish exiled to the overflows can flourish.
IMG_0067.JPEG IMG_0069.JPEG

Got my gargantuan vermeted snail... finished by scraping the coral with a craft knife to get all the bits.
IMG_0070.JPEG IMG_0071.JPEG IMG_0072.JPEG

Next up are my hydroids...

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I created a dub-T coral cutting station with my Dremel, a diamond cutting disc, a cardboard box and some plastic film. It worked really well! Its not best practice to use a Dremel though imo because it seems the cuts are much wider and sloppy. Gets the job done though.
IMG_0074.JPEG
I then proceeded to butcher my beautiful coral. I made two frags with the parts I saved. I have the rest in a jar in my overflow until I can figure out what todo with it. I may just toss it. Even after a 5 minute coral dip the hydroids are out...
IMG_0076.JPEG IMG_0078.JPEG IMG_0077.JPEG IMG_0079.JPEG

I changed around the tank layout a little after taking out a lot of rockwork to get the damsel. I also got another used MP40W. I got it cheap because it made a lot of noise. I am glad I bought two sets of bearings when I got them for the last MP40. I also picked-up another bolt of Pelon 910, cut it into 4 5" 20 yard rolls, and reloaded my filter floss roller.
I also sourced 5" x 100or200yard 50micon filter paper for $15/roll that I plan to try in the filter roller.
IMG_0088.JPEG IMG_0087.JPEG IMG_0065.JPEG
I went with a blue disposable roller so I get a nice red, white, and blue motif in my cabinet for the forth of July.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any pics of the new np 7 psu blocks? I don't like the fact mine are bigger than bricks, is rather irritating.
checkout this post. They're still big - 6amps will run you that size - but they're long and narrow, about an inch thick.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
checkout this post. They're still big - 6amps will run you that size - but they're long and narrow, about an inch thick.
Thanks! Their psu pic was not so descriptive in size. Much better looking than the older block.

Would you say the psu runs hot? Mine sure do.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! Their psu pic was not so descriptive in size. Much better looking than the older block.

Would you say the psu runs hot? Mine sure do.
not hot enough to melt the bucket they're on. I'd say they're luke warm. I'll try to remember to get their surface temp tomorrow with my temp gun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
not hot enough to melt the bucket they're on. I'd say they're luke warm. I'll try to remember to get their surface temp tomorrow with my temp gun.
They're running at about 115 degrees in an 80 degree cabinet, 45 minutes into step 4 of the auto SPS/LPS automatic program. Granted they're just laying there. I'll mount them with some airspace behind them so I achieve similar temps.
need todo all the apex wires over again to accommodate these PSUs.
IMG_0138.JPEG
haha... and there's my little Phyto experiment. The PSUs are behind the kalk jug just propped against the wall with the power strip.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're running at about 115 degrees in an 80 degree cabinet, 45 minutes into step 4 of the auto SPS/LPS automatic program. Granted they're just laying there. I'll mount them with some airspace behind them so I achieve similar temps.
need todo all the apex wires over again to accommodate these PSUs.
IMG_0138.JPEG
haha... and there's my little Phyto experiment. The PSUs are behind the kalk jug just propped against the wall with the power strip.
I don't know what mine run at. I know they get hot enough, if the heat sink isn't seated right, they will burn. I lost one psu that way. Hopefully, that is a rare issue at hand.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Started my Noopsyche lighting posts for the light I won the thread will be here:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy moly... I'm a step away from boycotting BRS. Just not happy; though I'm torn because they helped bring me in.
If I have ever had a problem with BRS they have always made it right so reach out to them tell them your concerns and I’m sure they’ll take care of you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back