Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try that except for the polar vortexes!
Yeah I’m not really sure how intense temperature extremes will effect the scrubber but I guess I’ll find out lol. I just set it up at the very end of the summer.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I tried to show my wife my winnings!
So What No GIF

Sometimes she just doesn't understand me... lol

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Patent app in process for capping skimmer with a basket to hold chemicals to treat the aquarium. I cant believe no one else had anything similar...
At least now if a big company starts doing it I can get reparations for lost business.

And I have precedent on the idea dating to last year when I uploaded my skimmer Carbon basket!

TheReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while on vacation, the neighborhood babysitter I had coming over to feed the cat and change the litter box... etc... was also minimally taking care of my tank. She called and said the bucket I had her dumping daily for the skimmer was filling up too fast and had overflowed...
I had her pull the skimmer plug because I still need to figure out how to get it to keep its setting. (Cadlights PLS-120)
She didn't tell me the severity of the overflow... (probably a lot of my 25Gallon ATO reservoir - 33Gallon Brute can)
Anyway - she cleaned it up but didn't mention the return pump was making a lot of noise gasping for water. (may have been from evaporation after she left for the day).

I got back to a tank with lots of Algae from super low flow, cloudy water from lack of filtration/flow and uber low salinity from 25+ gallons of ATO water being dumped into the tank to replace what the overactive skimmer dumped onto my floor... *sadface*

Nonetheless, I slowly brought up salinity and really easily blew-off the rocks with a few wet swishes. I changed my filter-floss and added some stuffing to polish. All the fish made it and looked great. The super low return flow (600-800GPH), 1/4-1/3 through the 24W UV kept everyone ich free... Polyp-lab medic will be delivered today. I'm going to start QT on a lawnmower blenny I've had my eye on at Petco for 3++ Months.

IMG_9136.JPEG IMG_9138.JPEG IMG_9140.JPEG IMG_9142.JPEG IMG_9143.JPEG IMG_9144.JPEG IMG_9145.JPEG IMG_9174.JPEG

I got a new Wavemaker from Amazon because I had a gift card. I have been very happy with my JEREPET SND-7000 return pump and I saw a discount on the "JEREPET 3400GPH Aquarium Wave Maker DC 24V Powerhead with Magnetic Mounting Wavemaker with Controller and LED Display Circulation Pump for 40-100 Gallon Tank (3400GPH)" (They need a better name...)
I got it and am also equally impressed. It is absolutely silent. Aside from the controller being rubbish, I am happy enough to make a safety guard for it (its pressure-fit onto the pump). I'll sell them cheap on my eBay for anyone else who wants one. If anyone wants to trade coral for one I am open to offers!
IMG_9139.JPEG IMG_9175.JPEG IMG_9177.JPEG IMG_9181.JPEG IMG_9183.JPEG

And I quickly redid the mesh top for the left side of the tank.
IMG_9200.JPEG

TheReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while on vacation, the neighborhood babysitter I had coming over to feed the cat and change the litter box... etc... was also minimally taking care of my tank. She called and said the bucket I had her dumping daily for the skimmer was filling up too fast and had overflowed...
I had her pull the skimmer plug because I still need to figure out how to get it to keep its setting. (Cadlights PLS-120)
She didn't tell me the severity of the overflow... (probably a lot of my 25Gallon ATO reservoir - 33Gallon Brute can)
Anyway - she cleaned it up but didn't mention the return pump was making a lot of noise gasping for water. (may have been from evaporation after she left for the day).

I got back to a tank with lots of Algae from super low flow, cloudy water from lack of filtration/flow and uber low salinity from 25+ gallons of ATO water being dumped into the tank to replace what the overactive skimmer dumped onto my floor... *sadface*

Nonetheless, I slowly brought up salinity and really easily blew-off the rocks with a few wet swishes. I changed my filter-floss and added some stuffing to polish. All the fish made it and looked great. The super low return flow (600-800GPH), 1/4-1/3 through the 24W UV kept everyone ich free... Polyp-lab medic will be delivered today. I'm going to start QT on a lawnmower blenny I've had my eye on at Petco for 3++ Months.

IMG_9136.JPEG IMG_9138.JPEG IMG_9140.JPEG IMG_9142.JPEG IMG_9143.JPEG IMG_9144.JPEG IMG_9145.JPEG IMG_9174.JPEG

I got a new Wavemaker from Amazon because I had a gift card. I have been very happy with my JEREPET SND-7000 return pump and I saw a discount on the "JEREPET 3400GPH Aquarium Wave Maker DC 24V Powerhead with Magnetic Mounting Wavemaker with Controller and LED Display Circulation Pump for 40-100 Gallon Tank (3400GPH)" (They need a better name...)
I got it and am also equally impressed. It is absolutely silent. Aside from the controller being rubbish, I am happy enough to make a safety guard for it (its pressure-fit onto the pump). I'll sell them cheap on my eBay for anyone else who wants one. If anyone wants to trade coral for one I am open

I got it and am also equally impressed. It is absolutely silent. Aside from the controller being rubbish, I am happy enough to make a safety guard for it (its pressure-fit onto the pump). I'll sell them cheap on my eBay for anyone else who wants one. If anyone wants to trade coral for one I am open to offers!
IMG_9139.JPEG IMG_9175.JPEG IMG_9177.JPEG IMG_9181.JPEG IMG_9183.JPEG

And I quickly redid the mesh top for the left side of the tank.
IMG_9200.JPEG
Where can I buy one of the guards for those power heads? I just bought 2 for myreefer

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where can I buy one of the guards for those power heads? I just bought 2 for myreefer
He'll sell them on eBay he said. You can always send him dimensions and see what he can do for you if you have a different powerhead.

He's got a website too! Parlaquatics

But the guard isn't on there. Yet?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ah ha! Yes! I'll post it on ParlAquatics since I designed it myself! I thought I posted it on Thingiverse but I guess not!

Great pumps so far... 1 year strong non-stop.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I may have made a dumb purchase... Its not that it was a bad idea... just that it doesn't fit in my low-ceilinged basement...
IMG_2599(1).JPEG
Here I am washing it out... just before I broke-out the pressure washer...

135Gallon water storage container.
I may have someone who will take it locally for what I paid.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I may have made a dumb purchase... Its not that it was a bad idea... just that it doesn't fit in my low-ceilinged basement...
IMG_2599(1).JPEG

Oops
k-pop oops GIF

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2599(1).JPEG

Wish I'd have known about this before... I just brought home 3 Sodium Chloride 13.5% barrels from work for my salt mixing station.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back