Sand bed “to stir or not to stir”

To stir or not to stir your sand bed?

• Total voters

Lhart901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question my sand gets pretty dirty, and I like to stir it up a bit every few days. I also like to vacuum very good during my weekly water changes.

I have lost quite a few fish lately with no signs or visible issues with them at all.

Could stirring the sand be causing a problem??

I’ve tried to do research but can’t seem to get a definitive answer. I look forward to the debate that will follow. Thanks in advance!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If things are going well then I'm not touching it! :)

But normally I don't stir it. Every once in a while I will.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not a new practice, I would not think it would cause deaths. I regularly blow the sand around when blasting rocks, and use a vacuum with issues.

What time period did the fish die over? when was the last death?
When did you last add anything wet, ie coral, snail, rock, macros, etc?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how deep, how much of whole sand bed, and how long sandbed has been undisturbed

Old, deep, sand bed that hasn’t been disturbed. Don’t mix too much at once

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't stir up my sandbed in a way that throws tons of organic detritus into the water column. I do vacuum the (reachable) sandbed at intervals as part of a water change, which removes an impressive amount of crud from the system.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following on from other posts the theory is that in well established tanks mixing the bed can kill off bacteria in the bottom layers leading to ammonia spikes. If you do it frequently then likely not an issue.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going back and forth on whether or not to stir/ siphon my sandbed. I didn't do it for a couple of years, then I started doing it regularly, and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference. If anything my tank is not as stable as it was. Not much comes out of the sand any more if I stir or siphon, and while it looks great after being freshly stirred, it looks about how it always does by the next afternoon.

There also seems to be a lot of debate about how bad the "gunk" in the sandbed really is for your tank. Some seem to think it's harmless and others think it is the sole reason for most tank crashes.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following on from other posts the theory is that in well established tanks mixing the bed can kill off bacteria in the bottom layers leading to ammonia spikes. If you do it frequently then likely not an issue.
That's not really the concern, the main concern is the release of hydrogen sulfide from anoxic zones.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine alone. I do have loads of cerith snails and some nassarius snails to help mix it for me though. I also have a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp pair that keeps their area of the reef pretty clean. And some type of worm is also creating piles of freshly stirred sand in my tank recently. Still haven't seen the culprit though.

DoobDob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't touch my sand bed, my diamondback watchman goby moves the sand enough. I also have a fighting conch that moves sand around, not as much as the goby though.

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I HAD a 5+ years of untouched sanded and decided I wanted a tiger pistol shrimp, I won't say no more. But yes stirring is not necessary if everything is stable you'll be ok.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer Goby, Sand Sifting Star, and Pistol Shrimp (along with nassarius) seem to do the trick for me. Sometimes ill poke around the sand just to make sure it isn't solid, but that's about it.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough subject for me. In the earlier days it was "don't disturb your sand bed," which actually worked well for me. Now, it's clean the heck out of your sand, which has caused more issues for me. So I'm torn.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e been vacuuming my sand bed soon after cycle . i have ignored in the past & these sand beds just trapped a bunch of gunk. it's not snowy white or anything but no GHA lawn .

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough subject for me. In the earlier days it was "don't disturb your sand bed," which actually worked well for me. Now, it's clean the heck out of your sand, which has caused more issues for me. So I'm torn.
Do what works. No reason to be torn. If NOT stirring gave better results.... do that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back