To stir or not to stir your sand bed?

• Total voters

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run a DSB. On occasion when ready to do a WC I sometimes push it out of the way to use my scrub pad for a whiter sand bed look around the edges only.

It does put a little cloudiness in the water column but I am to the ready to pump out ~15g. The water is soon clear due to temporary insert of filter floss then the protein skimmer finishes it off.

I use Stability after every water change. I'm not saying this is 100% the right thing to do when it comes to water chemistry but I do only the edges around the tank and it works for me.

My nitrates stay at ~5.

I see some differences of opinion which is to be expected and I believe we know our tanks and what might be right for some is not right for others.

I respect everyone's reason not to do so or to do so. Personal choice for whatever reason.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question my sand gets pretty dirty, and I like to stir it up a bit every few days. I also like to vacuum very good during my weekly water changes.

I have lost quite a few fish lately with no signs or visible issues with them at all.

Could stirring the sand be causing a problem??

I’ve tried to do research but can’t seem to get a definitive answer. I look forward to the debate that will follow. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to R2R and trust our opinions. Lots of knowledge on our forum and you are know at hopefully your 'home forum'.

I am sorry for your loses.

The reason your research has not been definitive is that so many variables have to be considered which is what you're reading in this thread. :)

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp does most of my stirring. I voted "Heck No" because I would not get in there with a siphon and really dig deep and turn it over. My systems have always done well by leaving it alone so I will continue with what works for me. :)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend using your fingers (as long as there isn't a bunch of bristle worms present) and breaking up clumps(if any). Not so much agitating the bed. I go slowly and make sure there aren't any bound up areas.

This allows the sand bed to remain soluble but doesn't overturn the bacteria bed too much.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a say in the matter. I have a rather large red coris wrasse who stirs the mess out of the sand bed.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what works. No reason to be torn. If NOT stirring gave better results.... do that.

I know, but I see what I suck out in just a month with a 2" bed. So knowing what's in there, it's hard for me to leave it. Back in the day, as soon as the tank was setup the sand was never touched.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going back and forth on whether or not to stir/ siphon my sandbed. .

OT, but I love your tag. Imma gonna steal that and use it somewhere else someday! :p

D100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon my bed about every other week. I also move it to clean the algae growing between the sand bed and the glass. I'm ok with stirring a sand bed as long as you have a lot of live rock for beneficial bacteria.

Bfaxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to flip the sand around often and the following day it’d look like crap again. Got a couple sand sifting stars and now it’s almost perfect

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon / vacuum what can be reached, during bi-weekly water changes. Diamond goby and other critters do the rest. It’s always worked well for me, so I keep doing it!

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question my sand gets pretty dirty, and I like to stir it up a bit every few days. I also like to vacuum very good during my weekly water changes.

I have lost quite a few fish lately with no signs or visible issues with them at all.

Could stirring the sand be causing a problem??

I’ve tried to do research but can’t seem to get a definitive answer. I look forward to the debate that will follow. Thanks in advance!

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly stir up my sand bed right before I do my water change. I’ve had no issues with my levels or fish. I do notice that my corals seem to enjoy it. They go into full eating mode for about 30 minutes

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back