Sand bed cleaning and Triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old system, I vacuumed the sand every other week through the filter socks, so as to catch the debris.

How does Triton approach this? I have a newly set up tank with a shallow sand bed, approximately 1/2 inch. Do you suggest leaving the sand bed to itself, Triton being a holistic approach? If not what would be the best method?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand is 1-2” deep and been with Triton since November without any water changes or siphoning. I use a rod to stir the sand about once every 2 weeks and I use a long surenge to blow water down in the sand on alternate weeks. This keeps it looking good.

I also have a sand sifting gobie, a fighting conch, and a few nasarius snails.

Robert's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old system, I vacuumed the sand every other week through the filter socks, so as to catch the debris.

How does Triton approach this? I have a newly set up tank with a shallow sand bed, approximately 1/2 inch. Do you suggest leaving the sand bed to itself, Triton being a holistic approach? If not what would be the best method?

I used to vacuum my sandbed once and month, but I stopped after moving to the Triton method back in Nov 2017. Since then I bought two sand sifting blennies, who have disappeared, and a sand sifting starfish that is still around. I have not noticed any ill affects because of the lack of vacuuming. Robert

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since then I bought two sand sifting blennies, who have disappeared, and a sand sifting starfish that is still around. Robert

I had the same, and they vanished, the first was big and fat the second wasnt around long. Not sure it there was just not enough rubbish in the sand for them.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
popcorn.gif

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back