Sand Bed Removal

  • Thread starter Thread starter birdsnest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

birdsnest

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
16
Location
Indian Harbour Bch.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2" sandbed in my 300g reef seems to me to become a nutrient trap and I would like to remove it. My question is that if I vacuum the sand out in stages by doing a 30g water change each week will I get a cycle or run into any other probs? Can I rinse the sand and use it for a remote deep sand bed or is it best to discard it? Any advice or experience is welcome.
 
i just did this on my 315g tank for the same reason. I pulled half out just before christmas and then did the rest last week with no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
 
Siphon out then discard. If you don't want a nutrient trap then don't make a DSB either. A DSB is one giant nutrient trap.
 
DSB is no more of a "nutrient trap" than any other type of sandbed IMO.

It just requires a different method of maintenance.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new