Sand Bed Removal

  • Thread starter Thread starter birdsnest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

birdsnest

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
16
Location
Indian Harbour Bch.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2" sandbed in my 300g reef seems to me to become a nutrient trap and I would like to remove it. My question is that if I vacuum the sand out in stages by doing a 30g water change each week will I get a cycle or run into any other probs? Can I rinse the sand and use it for a remote deep sand bed or is it best to discard it? Any advice or experience is welcome.
 
i just did this on my 315g tank for the same reason. I pulled half out just before christmas and then did the rest last week with no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
 
Siphon out then discard. If you don't want a nutrient trap then don't make a DSB either. A DSB is one giant nutrient trap.
 
DSB is no more of a "nutrient trap" than any other type of sandbed IMO.

It just requires a different method of maintenance.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new