Sand: Black vs Pink?

redreefer26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 5gal pico reef (soft corals) and plan to house some small inverts (snails and shrimp), possibly a goby in the distant future. In all prior saltwater tanks I have used white sand and never had any major issues, but I'm looking for something aesthetically different for this nano.

Specifically I am looking at Fiji Pink Arag-Alive or Hawaiian Black Arag-Alive. I know for certain that I would like a larger grain size to make for less cloudiness and easier clean up with a siphon, but I'm concerned about the claims that black sand absorbs more heat, as a 5 gallon could get warm rather quickly.

Anyone have experience with nano reefs and black sand/temperature issues? Any input on pink or black sand preferences/pictures of your tanks would be appreciated!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like black sand personally. If you got inverts, they would pop more with black background.
I'm not sure about the heat though, that's a very good point

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live black sand I used in my 14 g had a lot of sand that was magnetic in it. It would get picked up by my glass cleaner very easily. I didn't generally like the black sand and have gone back to white. Well, I think it's the Fiji pink.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand on the beach is hotter as it absorbs the sun's rays. Underwater in your tank this does not occur. Quality black sand does not contain magnetic iron particles. A vendor could not stay in business if they sold this type of sand. This is an old wives tale in the reef hobby. Magnetic glass cleaners will pick up any sand, black or white or pink, if when cleaning you allow the cleaning pad to get too close to the substrate. Since most cleaners are black, you just don't see the black sand on the cleaner pad and you end up scratching the glass.
Lighter colored sand will reflect the light back up into the tank which will make the tank brighter and cleaner looking.
However, you should choose the sand color based on your personal preference.

OP
OP
redreefer26

redreefer26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with a special grade sand, normal beige sand color. Also, the 5 gallon is proving difficult to keep cool even without sand (just curing LR in it right now) so I decided to keep the 5 gal as a curing/QT tank and bought a 14 gal to use as my DT.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with a special grade sand, normal beige sand color. Also, the 5 gallon is proving difficult to keep cool even without sand (just curing LR in it right now) so I decided to keep the 5 gal as a curing/QT tank and bought a 14 gal to use as my DT.
This just means that you caught the fever. Any excuse to get a larger tank!

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI. If in fact the Carib Sea Alive "Hawaiian" black is what you chose to go with, I have heard that it is magnetic. Real Hawaiian black sand is not magnetic. There may be parts of Maui where the sand has magnetic attributes but on the actual island of Hawaii there isn't any magnetized black sand. I'm not sure where Carib is getting this stuff from but there are other sources for black sand. You can always mix black and white and it looks great.

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand always looks better for corals contrast on top of the black sand

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand on the beach is hotter as it absorbs the sun's rays. Underwater in your tank this does not occur. Quality black sand does not contain magnetic iron particles. A vendor could not stay in business if they sold this type of sand. This is an old wives tale in the reef hobby. Magnetic glass cleaners will pick up any sand, black or white or pink, if when cleaning you allow the cleaning pad to get too close to the substrate. Since most cleaners are black, you just don't see the black sand on the cleaner pad and you end up scratching the glass.
Lighter colored sand will reflect the light back up into the tank which will make the tank brighter and cleaner looking.
However, you should choose the sand color based on your personal preference.
You need to come over to my house. I have a magnet. its picks up black sand and not white sand.

It also sticks to the cleaner and has scratched. the heck outta my oceanic tank.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this before as well. I have a bunch waiting for my new set up and now I gotta buy other sand :-/

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now y’all got me worried. Went with black sand but it is Tahitian Moon which is supposed to be a little finer than the hawaiin. Hope there are no issues.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back