Sand or No Sand

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have had my tank up and running for many years now but i am considering in removing all my sand.
Wondering what your thoughts or opinions are.
Any positives and or negatives???

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its been up for many years, I believe that removing the sand from your system would not be an issue. BUT... if you do want to remove your sand, do so very slowly over the course of many weeks. Small sections at a time so that you don't cause a bacterial bloom, or too much years of junk get into your water column.

You are also going to want to make sure that your rock work is secure as you are removing its base that helped hold up your rock.

And the only downside I see is if you have any sand dwelling creatures right now.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a matter of taste regarding the looks. The reef in nature has less sand than in our aquariums. Actually, at the reef crest, there is generally no sand anywhere to be seen. There is sand at the deepwater boundary level and within lagoons/natural harbors, but generally, that's about it.

It also depends on what your inhabitants will need for flow. I like the look of sand. For me, sand is not on option with my SPS dominant tank. The flow I have would make the sand blow around and I'd have bare spots. That, for me, would drive me absolutely batty. Since going bare bottom some 20 years ago, I have never had a diatom or cyano outbreak. Cleaning out any dead spots is a breeze.

Going bare bottom from sand will require patience and time. @Jose Esteves hit on that and how to implement the change. Anything that you do will impact your system so think of the consequences and mitigate them appropriately.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to make a mat for the bottom of tanks that looks like sand but is non permeable. I would go for one.
I had about 3 inches of sand in my 65g and one day just started sucking it out. I got about 80% out the first day. i let the tank settle for a few months with no ill effects on fish or corals. then i started getting cyano where the remaining sand was so i picked a weekend to take most of the rocks coral and fish out and put them in bins. i then proceeded to suck the remaining sand out and scrubbed the back glass and overflow. Finished up with 40 gallons water change. All corals and fish survived.

smirkis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never run sand anymore. i like high flow. sand traps crap and detritus. turns all kinds of colors. just a pain to keep up with. blows around if you have high flow.

bare bottom makes my life 100x easier. poop tends to all end up in 1 spot for easy cleaning during water changes. ever since i stopped using sand my tanks have been super clean and easy to keep clean.

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like having no sand would be just as much to keep up with. So many things float around and then settle on the sand where crabs etc eat it. Without the sand you would just see it all and it would never look clean. I could be wrong though

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the right cuc, your sand will stay clean and help keep your system stable. Plus, sand just looks better and more natural than a bare bottom imo.

plus, as others have mentioned, removing sand from a previously established/stable system can be really bad! If you do want to go that route, definitely follow @Jose Esteves advice and remove it gradually over time.

(I vote sand!)

smirkis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like having no sand would be just as much to keep up with. So many things float around and then settle on the sand where crabs etc eat it. Without the sand you would just see it all and it would never look clean. I could be wrong though
not sure what you mean by "so many things float around". i feed my tank, they eat it everything. unless you are purposely over feeding to let extras settle for your crabs? the bottom is so smooth things don't just collect on the bottom all over like it does on sand. in my tank, ALL unmounted crap settles in a small circle in the corner. the crabs/hermits over time learned this is where uneaten food goes and they race to it when they smell food in the tank. nothing sits in the tank or floats around for more than 10-20 mins after feeding.

i've never had a tank as clean as barebottom. i can't relate to your worries. and actually feel the total opposite. sand collects crap, feeds crap, and gets ugly af over time. this never happens with bare bottom but your tank is your tank. i ran sand for over 5 years, and no sand for the last 7 years.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I removed all my sand in one day. First I drained half the tank then put all live stock into the water then drained the rest and put all the rock into that then I used a shop vac and removed all the sand. My tank, all my sps and live stock was fine. Also I haven't had any Algae problems since.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate the aesthetic of bare-bottom tanks, but it definitely isn’t for me.

I can’t get past the idea of missing out on such a stockpile of beneficial bacteria in my aquarium. I think the only way I would do bare-bottom would be if I ever got around to setting up an actual Frag build.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone, I can solve the issue for both sides! I never wanted sand but I didn’t want my rocks sitting straight on glass.

I took ceramic reef squares and layered them across the are bottom. Took 433 squares. Now I can place coral anywhere and anytime I want a frag, simply break it off! No need to glue anymore.hahaha

D9343E02-6F31-459C-9310-9E79914EF5CD.jpeg 287A2201-9028-4F06-90D4-E6F23C902F2D.jpeg 069D3D15-E308-42B4-8098-100B5796F559.jpeg

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked in a couple fish stores and bare bottoms remind me of that. I don't like them. It's way too much work to keep them looking pristine. At least with sand stuff just disappears into it to be eaten by all the critters there.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked in a couple fish stores and bare bottoms remind me of that. I don't like them. It's way too much work to keep them looking pristine. At least with sand stuff just disappears into it to be eaten by all the critters there.

All of this.

I think when not upkept correctly, bare bottom saltwater tanks remind me of freshwater fish store displays. Barf.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life always seems easier with a bare bottom tank, particularly if you can siphon out the junk piles once a week. But I always miss the look of sand and always end up putting sand in eventually.

A 1" or less sand bed gives you the look and its pretty easy to prevent from becoming the tank's toilet with nassarius, other burrowing snails, hemit crabs...stirring it up yourself every once in a while. The detritus caught in the sand feeds a lot of pods when they come out at night..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back