Sand Sifting Gobies

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am thinking about a sand sifting goby for my new build. I would like your experiences with them. Will they constantly throw sand all over my corals. This is one fish I have never had.

Last edited by a moderator:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The king of all sandsifters is the Diamond goby. But be prepared, they dump sand like crazy. I had no corals in the sandbed, so mine wasn't too bad. If you have low corals, not a good thing. Otherwise you will have the cleanest sand in all of Georgia.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby. I would say that I like it. Keeps my sand bed clean for the most part but they will throw sand on corals that are sitting on the sand. If it doesn't bother you or perhaps you won't have too many corals on the sand bed, then they are a good addition.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added one and yes, they will move sand. Mine immediately went to digging homes under every rock i had. Now, I placed all my rock directly on the glass and not the sand so nothing has or will move even if he digs it all out.

From what i have seen him do it is definately possible for rocks to move or fall if they are placed on the sand so be aware of that. He cleared almoat all substrate from under a few rocks so they are very efficient sand movers.

The good part is that when he started he made clouds of sediment when he did all this work which actually clouded up the tank a bit. However, now that no linger happens. I should have stirred it up when i added it but he did that for me over about a week.

He has spread it up some rocks and bulldozed it up the sidea of others. For me its ok and he has not been harmfull to the corals I have which is. Ot that many and very few are directly on the sand bed. This may be an issue if i add some that are sand bed only or prefer the sandbed.

Bottom line, they moved and sift sand. This is what they do and you cant blame or get mad at them. For me, I accept it and consider it my duty and responsibiloty based on my decision to add one to clean up after it.

Mine has been well worth it as he has a great personality and is fun tonwatch as he is very active. Ok, he or she, i dont know. Also, not giving human attributes to a fish, just describing him the best way i can. ;Writing

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone I am still thinking about one, my new tank is on order so I have a long time to think. My current tank the sand is probably too large

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that have diamond gobies have problems with them burying coral on or close to the sand bed and get tired of constantly cleaning the sand away. It's well worth it to me though, one of my favorite fish. Hard working and a lot of personality...lol.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're awesome, but mine would bury Zoas and Acans which were within a few inches of the sand bed. Usually would also have a GIANT mound of sand right outside his home too. They're fun to watch but they make quite the mess.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a diamond goby and personality wise he was great. But rocks and coral would constantly be covered regardless of where they were in the tank because he would grab sand and sometimes take it to the top of the tank then let it go. It looked like it snowed in our reef tank constantly.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Rainford's Goby recently and love him. All he does is sift the sand all day but hardly makes a mess. He sifts the sand right near the sand bed so there isn't much blowing around and I have the very fine sugar type sand in my tank. The worst it gets is a little sprinkling of sand here and there on some corals but they never get covered or mounds build up. My sand has never looked so good.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a two spot goby in my 24g cube a few years ago. He kept the sand pristine and would wander all over the tank. He disappeared one day :(

Diamond goby can get pretty big. The two spot I had was about 3-4in and never really buried any coral. If it's a smaller tank, then I vote for a two spot. Larger tank, go with the diamond

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am thinking about a sand sifting goby for my new build. I would like your experiences with them. Will they constantly throw sand all over my corals. This is one fish I have never had.
I have had several diamond gobies. If your tank is under 100 gallons i would strongly advise against getting one - the main reason being they deplete your sandnbed of beneficial bacteria so that the sand is no longer live sand. Also, they jump so id you dont have anything covering yiur tank it will be only a matter of time until he jumps out of your tank

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still up in the air I am not sure, I know I can keep it alive, but I like coral and I have the lights on the new tank for coral, so I am not sure yet

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby has been a great clean-up crew member, helping me combat cyano on the sandbed. Sand moves around, but the grain size that goes into the water column is soon enough filtered out. I think it is definitely worth the trade off, and fun to watch too.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a diamond and golden head goby at different times and they both were extra messy. Sand was sparkling white though lol. Also they would get sand in their mouth and casually glide through the water column up to the surface slowly releasing sand. Like they were crop dusting lol .. no lie ... cool fish but messy

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're awesome, but mine would bury Zoas and Acans which were within a few inches of the sand bed. Usually would also have a GIANT mound of sand right outside his home too. They're fun to watch but they make quite the mess.

Notice at night that giant mound is gone? He buries the main entrance to his cave! Smart little fish.

seagoblin98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all types of gobies and would recommend getting one, but keep a tight lid. I bought 3 within a week. I had 3 on the floor the following week

seagoblin98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiger warry kept to himself mostly and hid in his cave. The railway goby and sleeper goby were the two that kept me very entertained as they worked as a team to uncover their new hide, burying most of my rockwork in the process

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandsifting Goby Caveat

Thirty odd years ago I had a pair of Engineer Gobies (Pholidichthys leucotaenia). They were not anemone friendly. They took a dislike to my Blue Carpet and repeatedly attempted to smother it with sand. I had to move the nem to another tank to save it.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back