Sand Sifting Starfish

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a diamondback goby for my sandbed, but came across a sand sifting star fish at a LFS.
It was rather cheap, and the fact it also eats detritus and other waste would be beneficial.

Just looking at thoughts and feedback from other owners before I purchase.

I have alot of live rock, and may have some frags or coral on the sandbed soon.

Have read they don't live long in captivity?

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big and old is your tank? The eat microfauna in the sand bed. I’ve had mine for about a year from petco with no issues!

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn’t get one. These guys appetites are quite voracious, and end up starving to a slow death in your tank causing all sorts of issues. If you are wanting to keep a live sandbed, these guys aren’t the solution.

I speak from experience these guys take work to keep. Come feeding time I had to try to find where he buried himself to give him a piece of shrimp or clam. Even with all that , he didn’t even last a year.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do live decently log lives in captivity under the right conditions. The problem is that people chuck them in the the tank a couple of weeks after the cycle was complete.
I would wait at least a year before adding one to your tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the basics.... What size is your tank?

Like already said, they have a voracious appetite, and as such will deplete a sandbed rather quickly of microfauna, then starve to death.

They typically only live long term in larger tanks where there is an adequate sandbed to keep microfauna repopulating as they eat another section of the sandbed.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have a standard 125g display (72x23x18) with an 1-1/2" fiji pink sand-bed and I've had a sand sifting starfish for about 4 years. He has survived one tank tear down and all. Sometimes I don't see him for weeks and then he pops up again. I added him to my tank when it was about 1 year old. I've never taken any special action to feed him and assume he feeds off what is living in the sand bed. I also assume he needs sufficient surface area to feed so I would be careful placing him in a smaller tank.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn’t get one. These guys appetites are quite voracious, and end up starving to a slow death in your tank causing all sorts of issues. If you are wanting to keep a live sandbed, these guys aren’t the solution.

I speak from experience these guys take work to keep. Come feeding time I had to try to find where he buried himself to give him a piece of shrimp or clam. Even with all that , he didn’t even last a year.

Thanks everyone. I have taken all your feedback and have decided to go for 2 or 3 Nassarius Snail for the sandbed. Probably a better option.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back