Sand

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m trying to find dry sand for a 90 gallon that won’t break the bank, I’ve been looking into pool filter sand. I need some opinions

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFS works, but remember that that's quartz/silica sand. I'm fairly certain that collecting sand from the beach might be illegal, and also they hauled in a bunch of quartz sand a while ago, so that's not exactly calcium carbonate either.

Your best bet will be an online supplier like BRS or Amazon, or even Petco/Petsmart online. Most people recommend using calcium carbonate sand for the buffering capacity though.

Are you going for a DSB, shallow sand bed, or some other form of sand bed? Have you considered a very fine (.5") layer for the aesthetic purposes?

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many different options when it comes to pool filter sand that choosing just one can be difficult. If used as a filter medium, any kind of pool filter sand is safe for use. However, if you will be using the sand as a substrate material, use only natural or silica sand. You should never use glass media as they are not good for the fish.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back