Sand

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much sand should I buy? I am starting a 90 gallon mixed reef tank and was wondering how much sand should I buy. I’ve heard 1lb per gallon is this good?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will give you this for free unlike after jens video of above poster is true ha ha but google is our friend and most things can just ask and like magic it appears.so just add your tank dimensions in and decide how deep you want the tank ,like want any wrasses that sleep in sand?
Want nassarious or conch snails or sand sifting fish or star fish and stuff like this will dictate how deep you want your sand bed so what i did was made a plan off livestock i wanted in tank then designed tank around that.
Good luck and hope you get great enjoyment from your tank ^_^

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" = 40 and 2" = 80 pounds

If you are looking a Caribsea Special Grade sand, Petsmart has it the cheapest. You would need to order it online. Live bagged sand is a waste of money

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will give you this for free unlike after jens video of above poster is true ha ha but google is our friend and most things can just ask and like magic it appears.so just add your tank dimensions in and decide how deep you want the tank ,like want any wrasses that sleep in sand?
Want nassarious or conch snails or sand sifting fish or star fish and stuff like this will dictate how deep you want your sand bed so what i did was made a plan off livestock i wanted in tank then designed tank around that.
Good luck and hope you get great enjoyment from your tank ^_^
Awesome thank you very much!!

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" = 40 and 2" = 80 pounds

If you are looking a Caribsea Special Grade sand, Petsmart has it the cheapest. You would need to order it online. Live bagged sand is a waste of money

Great thank you! I am looking at the caribsea sand. I saw bulk reef supply has it but didn’t look anywhere else yet.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re patient you can often find sand for free on craigs list. Of course you’ll be cleaning it for a long time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back