Sansibia vs blue clove polyps

  • Thread starter Thread starter DanConnor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
1,131
Location
Albany NY area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I picked up a softy at my LFS they called Sansibia. It's a nice dark grey pillow of dense fluffy polyps. I see the term sansibia being used interchangeably with invasive blue polyps people are always trying to get rid of. This thing I have is growing at a slow pace and just does not seem invasive. I don't think they are the same...?

I also have what I think is the classic "blue xenia" and this is different. Darker in color and shorter in height- like sympodium but a bit taller. I'll try to get a picture.
 
That's a problem with this hobby. We use common names more than scientific names. Sarcothelia and Sansibia are both referred to as bue cloves. I don't know all the differences, but I believe they are both invasive (which is probably why they are both referred to as blue cloves).
 
If you have something that looks like blue clove polyps, but is growing slowly, look up sympodiums. I think they're related to clove polyps, but they grow from a mat, and they're slow-growing. Mine does best when I feed it reef roids. Pretty corals, and a great alternative to blue clove polyps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new