OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do 4 drops per gallon at all.

Sorry haven't read all you have done, but if you are reading 2ppm now, I would wait until that is processed. Then I would dose 1 drop per gallon and test. Then add some more based on that.

We found that Dr tims instructions lead to a mass overdose, about twice as much as intended.
Thanks! I only just started this cycle. Tomorrow is day 3. I’ll test ammonia and go from there. Appreciate the reply :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do 4 drops per gallon at all.

Sorry haven't read all you have done, but if you are reading 2ppm now, I would wait until that is processed. Then I would dose 1 drop per gallon and test. Then add some more based on that.

We found that Dr tims instructions lead to a mass overdose, about twice as much as intended.
Thanks @Coxey81

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested my ammonia and Nitrites yesterday, I was holding the jar up to the card rather then looking down at it. Duh… I have a funny feeling those original 72 drops of ammonia put the levels around 4-5ppm.

23hrs after I tested ammonia yesterday I get this:

E91BE833-F600-4276-A780-191A905F053C.jpeg

I would say I’m still over 2ppm.

I ended up ordering the seachem ammonia badge. I think I’ll just wait it the badge reads 0 ammonia, dose the 45 drops that is recommended by the fishlore ammonia dosing calculator and putting that the ammonia is 6% concentration instead of 4% (according to Coxey81’s dr Tim’s thread). And keep track of how long it takes to go from 2ppm to 0. Once that happens in under 24hrs, I’ll test for Nitrites and Nitrates.

Tempted to add a bottle of Fritz turbo start in a few day. But I think I’ll just be patient and wait it out.

76C207FD-39A1-4CE7-8428-5CBF57376A63.png

anyway, that’s my new fishless cycle plan. Scrapping Dr. Tim’s instructions :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested my ammonia and Nitrites yesterday, I was holding the jar up to the card rather then looking down at it. Duh… I have a funny feeling those original 72 drops of ammonia put the levels around 4-5ppm.

23hrs after I tested ammonia yesterday I get this:

E91BE833-F600-4276-A780-191A905F053C.jpeg

I would say I’m still over 2ppm.

I ended up ordering the seachem ammonia badge. I think I’ll just wait it the badge reads 0 ammonia, dose the 45 drops that is recommended by the fishlore ammonia dosing calculator and putting that the ammonia is 6% concentration instead of 4% (according to Coxey81’s dr Tim’s thread). And keep track of how long it takes to go from 2ppm to 0. Once that happens in under 24hrs, I’ll test for Nitrites and Nitrates.

Tempted to add a bottle of Fritz turbo start in a few day. But I think I’ll just be patient and wait it out.

76C207FD-39A1-4CE7-8428-5CBF57376A63.png

anyway, that’s my new fishless cycle plan. Scrapping Dr. Tim’s instructions :)
Seams very confusing .
daily dosing seams to be a huge pain in the butt compared to just adding a ammonia source and leaving it for a week

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found this as well. I went with doing 1 drop per gallon. There old instructions used to say 1 drop per gallon but for some reason they changed it a few years ago to the 4:1. Someone said they diluted there mixture but when I did the 4:1 it put my level at, I don't even know because it was forest green (Same RS test) lol. So I decided to go back to there origional instructions and it worked out well.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s freezing outside, and nowhere to go, so I’m binge watching the 5 min guide to reefing on BRS TV.
Hubby keeps asking me questions. I’m like “if you shhhhh and watch you’ll get the answer” LOL
Or
Perhaps it’s like my house .
my wife likes the tank , wants to buy fish and corals ,
But when it comes to washing the skimmer in the kitchen sink it’s a different story .
The collection cup I empty in the toilet make the bathroom smell terrible .

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s freezing outside, and nowhere to go, so I’m binge watching the 5 min guide to reefing on BRS TV.
Hubby keeps asking me questions. I’m like “if you shhhhh and watch you’ll get the answer” LOL

You can take our cold weather if you want, Watch the BRS 52 weeks of reefing as well. It will take up hours of your time ;Smuggrin
The collection cup I empty in the toilet make the bathroom smell terrible .
Yeah I know what you mean. We had to install a utility sink so I could clean my fish stuff without my wife getting upset ;Hilarious

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched all 29 episodes of the 5min guide to reefing, lots of great info, and a good refresher. I don't love how he introduced the yellow tang to the 40gallon and said just swap it out for a smaller one when it gets to big, but Im sentimental LOL

One of the first episodes was about easy 1st reef corals. Screen shot the list and went through it. Then i went though the online shop for Fragbox and Candy Corals and picked out things i liked. Then i went through and looked for their PAR, flow, temperament and feeding info, and removed any that no longer suited me.

I don't think i'll get ALL of these in the tank, but these are ones I will be on the look out for when the tanks good and ready:

Zoanthids (100-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Toadstool leather (150—300 PAR, moderate flow, supplemental feeding phytoplankton)
Hammer (4” clearance, 150-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Frogspawn (4” clearance, 150-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Bubble (150-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Candy cane (150-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Mushroom - red (80-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Acan (keep 6” clearance, 120-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Montipora Digitatas (300-450 PAR, moderate Flow, target feed oyster/roti-feast)
Purple Stylophora (300-450 PAR, High Flow, target feed oyster/roti-feast)
Alveopora - (4” clearance, 75-125PAR, Moderate Flow, broadcast feed reefroids)

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take our cold weather if you want, Watch the BRS 52 weeks of reefing as well. It will take up hours of your time ;Smuggrin

Yeah I know what you mean. We had to install a utility sink so I could clean my fish stuff without my wife getting upset ;Hilarious
We live in a apartment for now .
it’s either the kitchen sink or the bath tub .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched all 29 episodes of the 5min guide to reefing, lots of great info, and a good refresher. I don't love how he introduced the yellow tang to the 40gallon and said just swap it out for a smaller one when it gets to big, but Im sentimental LOL

One of the first episodes was about easy 1st reef corals. Screen shot the list and went through it. Then i went though the online shop for Fragbox and Candy Corals and picked out things i liked. Then i went through and looked for their PAR, flow, temperament and feeding info, and removed any that no longer suited me.

I don't think i'll get ALL of these in the tank, but these are ones I will be on the look out for when the tanks good and ready:

Zoanthids (100-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Toadstool leather (150—300 PAR, moderate flow, supplemental feeding phytoplankton)
Hammer (4” clearance, 150-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Frogspawn (4” clearance, 150-250 PAR, moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Bubble (150-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Candy cane (150-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Mushroom - red (80-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Acan (keep 6” clearance, 120-250 PAR, low/Moderate flow, feed meaty food)
Montipora Digitatas (300-450 PAR, moderate Flow, target feed oyster/roti-feast)
Purple Stylophora (300-450 PAR, High Flow, target feed oyster/roti-feast)
Gonipora - Difficult? (4” clearance, 75-125PAR, Moderate Flow, broadcast feed reefroids)
Gonipora . Alveopora . The only difference is the number of pedals around the disk .
There are more reporting successfully keeping them long term over the last few years .
Once upon a time they were said to not survive in captivity more than 1 year

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back