Save my frogspawn please

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a frag five days ago. Days 1-3 the frogspawn seemed puffy, more so than hammers I got at the same time. Then yesterday night, I noticed that it had retracted, no longer puffy, and I could see some some bone on one side. This morning it looks like there’s been a bailout?? of one side of the frag. Hammers seem totally fine.

Did 30% water change last night. Before change, here are the stats:
1.025 salinity
stable 77-79 degrees
0 ammonia
15 nitrates
Phosphates ballooned to 2.0 over the last two weeks (used to be zero but looks like I over corrected)
Ph 8.2
Calcium 480
Magnesium 1460
Alkalinity also ballooned from 8.3 to 10 over the last two weeks.

Lighting is AI prime. 9 inches above surface. Frag is about 1 inch outside the outline of the light fixture. I light acclimated and ramped up light from 15% to 30% the past five days. Moved frag on day 2 from one side of a hammer (where the chalice in the pic is) to the other side of second hammer (bc originally there as very little flow). But that’s about it that has changed in the past week except I’ve direct fed mysis, and reef roids and broadcast phyto.

Here are some pics but camera incapable of taking clear close ups so that is why I posted some in blue light as they were some of the closest.

One photo was from last night and this morning there was even more flesh gone on that one side (closest to the light). A hammer is to the left of the hammer and a blasto is on tight and two frags in front of him are a setosa and a pavona. The pic with the frag closest to the foreground is from this evening.

I’d appreciate R2R’s collective wisdom.

Edit: I just saw a couple of gnarly sweepers coming out of the hammer next to it but it doesn’t look like it’s touching the side of the frogspawn that’s disappearing.
IMG_0935.jpeg IMG_0943.jpeg IMG_0944.jpeg IMG_0948.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check for BJD (gently removing it with a paper towel and doing the "smell test" is a dead giveaway).
2. Try moving it further away from any corals that could potentially sting it - then try not to move it around much thereafter.

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check for BJD (gently removing it with a paper towel and doing the "smell test" is a dead giveaway).
2. Try moving it further away from any corals that could potentially sting it - then try not to move it around much thereafter.
I failed. (Nothing smelled btw)

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0960.jpeg
    IMG_0960.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 35

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've been keeping corals for a while you'll see that sometimes you get one that just isn't healthy. They look fine when you get them but they go down hill fast even with good parameters.

As an example, I have a big Goni rock that has 6 different Gonis on it and all are doing great and have been for quite a while. Got a 7th one a while back and it didn't even make it a week. It was just a "bad" one or overly sensitive.

I'd say in your case, it was a combo of fluctuating water parameters and a coral that wasn't the healthiest.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a goner. Sorry. I had one and no matter where I placed him he would lose a head, I bought another one and placed him in the same spot and has since grown triple!.
So many things lead to it stressing… just with the flow, or lighting. If that hammer did say sting him.
A leading infection 1/10000 chance…you got unfortunate leading to it dying.

AI prime lights in my opinion and experience with them are very Suspicious. For me they are a bad rep for some corals.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back