Sb reef vs viparspectra

ScoobySnax6978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to get the vipar but have the opportunity to pick up sb reef boxes for 500 with mounts...... now I'm torn. Currently on a 75g. But planning on upgrading to a 150 in the near future.

20200204_204956.jpg

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never owned a vipra but have had a sb reeflight.
Sb’s grow coral for sure.
How old are the used lights

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the same price I'd take SB reef lights. If budget was an issue, Viparspectras will work just fine. I just prefer the SB spectrum a but more and have modified my Vipars LED layout to closer resemble SB reef lights.

OP
OP
ScoobySnax6978

ScoobySnax6978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vipars are 250 for the pair of 18" lights. The sb are 550 for 2 32" lights. But the warranty is not transferrable.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own SB reef, and I've moved them to my 220 fowlr. I won't own another. Grows coral, does it's job, but customer service is non existent. If you ever need to order a part, or get help, good luck. It's so spotty. Had a light ordered 2 times by my lfs that never actually showed up. Firs time damaged, after waiting a month, second time never showed up after a month it was "too damaged to deliver" ordered hydras for just a little more $$$

acrum222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own SB reef, and I've moved them to my 220 fowlr. I won't own another. Grows coral, does it's job, but customer service is non existent. If you ever need to order a part, or get help, good luck. It's so spotty. Had a light ordered 2 times by my lfs that never actually showed up. Firs time damaged, after waiting a month, second time never showed up after a month it was "too damaged to deliver" ordered hydras for just a little more $$$
My experience was pretty much the same as yours. Showed up broken. Only way I got a reply back, was when I disputed the charges through PayPal.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Noopsyche, everyone I've heard from is happy with theirs. I'm planning on getting some for my upcoming upgrade.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard SB has gone under, so even if warranty was transferable it wouldnt matter if company is dead. If you are going to get 150G soon, decide which light fixtures you want to use over it. Then buy same one for 75G that you currently have and add more of them when time comes to upgrade.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Noopsyche, everyone I've heard from is happy with theirs. I'm planning on getting some for my upcoming upgrade.

Thats what I will be using over my 5', 110G tank :)
For the price, I really think they cant be beat right now.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard SB has gone under, so even if warranty was transferable it wouldnt matter if company is dead. If you are going to get 150G soon, decide which light fixtures you want to use over it. Then buy same one for 75G that you currently have and add more of them when time comes to upgrade.
They haven't per say, they just don't seem to care much lately for customer service, or retaining customers. I'll run my 3 downstairs on my fowlr until they die, then I'll just buy a strip light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't per say, they just don't seem to care much lately for customer service, or retaining customers. I'll run my 3 downstairs on my fowlr until they die, then I'll just buy a strip light.
AFAICT they order everything from China.. I suspect there are supply chain interruptions ATM..

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAICT they order everything from China.. I suspect there are supply chain interruptions ATM..
They are. Never understood with the amount that they ended up selling that they didn't bulk up what is in the US warehouse.... Either way I'd look at others unless you think it's gunna go 5 years with no need for customer service.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they ever make a better controller or better yet, wifi app.... These would sell like hotcakes.

Yeah, @noopsyche mentioned what you see is what you get controller wise. No updates. And apparently not possible to do phone app either for some reason. He explained it long time ago, but I forgot what exactly was the reason.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, @noopsyche mentioned what you see is what you get controller wise. No updates. And apparently not possible to do phone app either for some reason. He explained it long time ago, but I forgot what exactly was the reason.

Its due to the chip they are using. Would require a fixture update that's not likely to happen.

I guess once set it wouldn't be terrible, but still a bit of PIA. Buddy of mine has the hybrid with the K7s and it's a pretty impressive light.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back