SBB - 275 Auctions up now + 80 WYSWYG Corals. Click now to Join!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not getting the alk/ph correlation aside from that corals grow faster when the PH is higher.
pH is a measure of hydrogen. Corals release hydrogen when converting calcium and bicarbonate to calcium carbonate to make skeleton. Less hydrogen makes it easier for them to get rid of that hydrogen. CO2 in your air enters your tank, which makes carbonic acid which contains hydrogen.

High air co2 = more hydrogen in tank = lower pH = harder for coral to shed the hydrogen from the conversion, and lower local pH.

I think.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a measure of hydrogen. Corals release hydrogen when converting calcium and bicarbonate to calcium carbonate to make skeleton. Less hydrogen makes it easier for them to get rid of that hydrogen. CO2 in your air enters your tank, which makes carbonic acid which contains hydrogen.

High air co2 = more hydrogen in tank = lower pH = harder for coral to shed the hydrogen from the conversion, and lower local pH.

I think.
I try to keep CO2 down by opening the window and the scrubber on my skimmer.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only place I have Coraline is on the powerheads and some snail shells. I’m assuming it’s because that’s where the asterinas can’t get to
I dont think asterinas impact coralline, or its news to me if they do. Do you have an urchin? What salt ya run, is it high in mag? You shouldnt need to dose 150ppm per month unless you have some seriously inconsistent test kits, salinity swings, or dont do WCs. Even a packed full happy tank wont eat up 150ppm in a month.

Ahh you said mL not ppm my mistake.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house has three bath rooms with an exhaust fan in each. Plus kitchen stove fan vents outside. I just leave them all on. House CO2 stays close to outside CO2 and PH runs 8.10 - 8.35. I quit using the CO2 scrubber. Don’t need it running the fans. PH showing a little higher since I was out of the house for a week.

IMG_4042.jpeg
IMG_0728.png

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house has three bath rooms with an exhaust fan in each. Plus kitchen stove fan vents outside. I just leave them all on. House CO2 stays close to outside CO2 and PH runs 8.10 - 8.35. I quit using the CO2 scrubber. Don’t need it running the fans. PH showing a little higher since I was out of the house for a week.

IMG_4042.jpeg
IMG_0728.png
I strongly recommend consulting an HVAC professional. Youre creating a negative pressure, bassically pulling moisutre, pollen, and everything else into any crevice in your house. Typically you want positive pressure to keep all that stuff "pushed out" of your house.

I installed a whole house dehum with fresh air intake to achieve the same thing, but dehum because florida. It creates positive pressure because the fresh air is its own port outside.

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some guidance regarding new rank and when to start adding corals.

Tank has been up 6 weeks. Started with dry rock, dry sand and 2 rocks from my current tank sump. Added Dr. Tim's (twice) plus some Macrobacter7. Has 2 clownfish in it. Nirate has been steady at 13, phos steady at .12, alk is low at 6.3 dKh currently.

In your opinion, when is it safe to add corals to a new tank? I have read any where from day 1 to 6 months to "when coraline alge has started growing.

Thank you for your insights.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank has been up 6 weeks. Started with dry rock, dry sand and 2 rocks from my current tank sump. Added Dr. Tim's (twice) plus some Macrobacter7. Has 2 clownfish in it. Nirate has been steady at 13, phos steady at .12, alk is low at 6.3 dKh currently.

In your opinion, when is it safe to add corals to a new tank? I have read any where from day 1 to 6 months to "when coraline alge has started growing.

I’m definitely not the guru, but this is my experience. Started with dry rock and bare bottom. Did start with skimmer, UV and socks. Tank cycle complete May 2022. Added fish immediately. 10 fish. Went through a couple of algae blooms over the next few months so kept the lights at a very low setting. By July 2022 algae had subsided and tank parameters were stable. Added Zoa’s and a hammer early August 2022. Everything looked good so started first Acropora mid September 2022. Went through a cyano bacteria outbreak in October from overfeeding and turning the light up too high too quick. acro’s did fine with lower light 200-250 Par till I got the tank cleaned up again. By December 2022 I had 50 Acro frags in the tank and only lost two of them.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look no further, i'm here! ;)

edit: dang, was late to the party. congrats to the #2 winner.
We found the one. it wasnt you . but they have yet to post they have number 2. They posted but not here. they need to post it here to collect.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SBB Turbo Fire. Fast grower. First picture was when I got it mid September. About 1” tall. Second picture today 3 1/2” tall. May have to go ahead and frag the tips to try and make it bushy.

1707513894224.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg
You’re getting much better growth than me. This tank in general doesn’t have the growth I got years ago in another tank. Here is my Turbo Fire that I got in the same sale as you. Still more of a grower than a shower.
IMG_1108.png
IMG_1110.jpeg

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just go with what Jake Adams says and add corals right away. But don't buy expensive ones!

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re getting much better growth than me. This tank in general doesn’t have the growth I got years ago in another tank. Here is my Turbo Fire that I got in the same sale as you. Still more of a grower than a shower.
IMG_1108.png
IMG_1110.jpeg
Mine are definitely hit or miss. Some takeoff quickly and some just sit there.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back