***SBB- Spring Sale***- 800 WYSYWG - 200 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 5/17/23!!! $1500 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calvincandy-django.gif

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My make it a rule NOT to ship on Monday for Tues (because any backups on Mondays potentially cause delays) and no shipping on Thursday for Friday just in case delays and don't get it until Monday. I know there's potential for delays on any given days, but more on Mondays and Thursday.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm next Tuesday, then I leave for out of town on Thursday until the following Tuesday, then leave the next morning for another three days.
I'm hoping I place the SBB corals and they don't need to move at all because I won't be around to do anything to help them. Makes me slightly nervous.

I've left for that amount of time before, just not after making some initial placements. Really only worried about the Space Ghost nub and the speciosa.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tend to top off around 10-15 gallons a week right now with the summer heat coming on. Winter and late fall are around 5 - 8 gallons a week.
My make it a rule NOT to ship on Monday for Tues (because any backups on Mondays potentially cause delays) and no shipping on Thursday for Friday just in case delays and don't get it until Monday. I know there's potential for delays on any given days, but more on Mondays and Thursday.
I work from home most Thursdays so Wednesday for Thursday is my go to shipping. Also allows for Friday delivery if any delays happen.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been slowly loosing several corals, mostly acros. It looks like they're being nibbled on until they go all white. I thought it was my emerald crabs so those got moved to my sump. It's still happening. My current lead suspect is my foxface rabbitfish who definitely likes to nibble. I'm very worried about my SBB order arriving tomorrow. Anyone have advice?

Rehoming the fish is not an option. My husband really likes that fish and he does have a nice personality.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've been slowly loosing several corals, mostly acros. It looks like they're being nibbled on until they go all white. I thought it was my emerald crabs so those got moved to my sump. It's still happening. My current lead suspect is my foxface rabbitfish who definitely likes to nibble. I'm very worried about my SBB order arriving tomorrow. Anyone have advice?

Rehoming the fish is not an option. My husband really likes that fish and he does have a nice personality.
No sign of any bugs? Have you checked after lights out with a flashlight? I had similar on my Montis and found Montipora Eating Nudibranches.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

If the fish is the problem, he gotta go. You don't have 2nd tank to put him into. I know your hubby love it, but my vote is for the acros. Maybe give it to a good friend/family. I'm lucky my hubby knows nothing touches my corals. I have to cage my rainbow welsophyllia because my sailfin nips at it.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

My first suggestion would be to build an egg crate housing for it. @wes84 has some for his stratosphere zoas. @tbrown3589 does a lot of egg crate stuff as well.

If you block access to the acro frag rack/location from the Fox face, then you could at least remove that as a factor if you are still having issues.

Any pictures btw?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was just rereading your issues @Atherial , if it's several different coral types, it's most likely not a bug. Most external pests have one type of coral they inhabit, like Montipora eating nudibranch, red bugs on acros, brown jelly on euphyllia.

If you have multiple coral types affected, it's either a fish/invert eating polyps or there is an issue with water paramaters/quality. Any air borne pollutants/cleaners land on the tank?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have not checked with a flashlight. I'll try that tonight. What is the treatment if I do find any?
Depends on what you find, but several varieties of wrasse, some Damselfish, and most Dottyback species will help with some but not all. There are chemical treatments as well. Are the nibble spots random or do they start at the base or tip?

As @Kasrift mentioned most bugs do tend to attack one type of coral - my Monti Eating Nudibranches only went after my Monti Caps and Digitatas and left all other SPS alone. Red bugs tend to go for Acros. Same with Flatworms, they typically tend to only go after a specific type of coral.

Using the flashlight after lights out helps see most bugs but they can be slow moving and can be similarly colored to the corals they're munching on - good camouflage.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Do you have any pics of how they look?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back