sc aquarium vs cad lights

nemo1018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I basically wanna get a new tank aiming for a cube look and have seen sc aquariums and the cad lights in 50 and 60 gallons was wondering if anybody has any of these tanks, and if you do if you guys can please give any pros and cons on each please and what type of led lights would you recommend? help plz

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the SCA 50g cube in the past and currently have the 66g tank. My only complaint is the included plumbing is thin walled so I do my own plumbing. Both tanks themselves are great looking and have had no issues with either one.

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of how the SC tanks look. They do not have the sleek modern look that a CAD Lights or Red Sea has.

However, the optional equipment options for SCs are top notch. You can of course install those on any tank.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with an SCA and loved it. The build was great and a very solid tank as well. I wanted to go with CAD lights but their recent customer reviews have been awful at best so I avoided them. Maybe things have changed and I hope so bc they do build very attractive aquariums...

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also looking into getting a 50gal honestly i don't see much differences in looks between the SCA vs CAD however with little research i heard lots of good things about SCA.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also looking into getting a 50gal honestly i don't see much differences in looks between the SCA vs CAD however with little research i heard lots of good things about SCA.
Go with the SCA. Will at SCA will be able to get you a good deal on the 50gal PNP with full wood stand. Roughly around $760

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now im officially confused between the SCA 50gal Dimensions: (24"W x 24"L x 20"H) and the CAD lights 60 gal Dimensions: (23.5" x 23.5" x 23.5").

Any help on making a desition would be greatly appreciated.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inner dimensions of the tank will actually be the true water volume. Most likely the dimensions are taken from the outside on both the CAD and the SCA. The sumps in each brand of tank (+ water volume) are most likely comparable in size so water volume for each tank will vary based on rocks, sand, pumps. skimmers, reactors or anything else taking up volume in the tank. To get a rough estimate on tank size/water volume you can use Marine depots calculator for tanks. It allows you to select the shape and dimensions of the tank to give you a pretty accurate water volume in the display. Best of luck.

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inner dimensions of the tank will actually be the true water volume. Most likely the dimensions are taken from the outside on both the CAD and the SCA. The sumps in each brand of tank (+ water volume) are most likely comparable in size so water volume for each tank will vary based on rocks, sand, pumps. skimmers, reactors or anything else taking up volume in the tank. To get a rough estimate on tank size/water volume you can use Marine depots calculator for tanks. It allows you to select the shape and dimensions of the tank to give you a pretty accurate water volume in the display. Best of luck.

I see, but besides for that, the dimensions alone of the cadlight might look a little nicer because its taller.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, but besides for that, the dimensions alone of the cadlight might look a little nicer because its taller.
I guess it all depends on preference. Call Will at SCA. They can make what ever size you prefer. Also the cost still would be cheaper than the CAD

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CAD however will look more sleek / modern. Depends what your preference is.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back