OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water test on the sump and I made 2 baffles to high, removed the baffles now have to cut them and try again. Hopefully I get a chance to skin the stand this weekend or part of the stand.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so today I worked more on the stand and starting the QT tank. painting the back of the QT today.
IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said this is your first time building a stand? It looks great! I saw that you used ASI silicone for the sump baffles, I love that silicone!

What made you go with the 100 gallon over the 120?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said this is your first time building a stand? It looks great! I saw that you used ASI silicone for the sump baffles, I love that silicone!

What made you go with the 100 gallon over the 120?

Hey pelphrey.. yes first tank stand build. I did a lot of YouTube videos before I started lol. So far had a few challenges, I have to build the tank at my moms house as I live in apartment. So I had to level the floow as driveway is declined. Checked everything with a level before screwing in. Tank stand is very heavy at this point without the doors, about 100 lbs. Asi was the silicone I saw a lot of people use, the only thing is my house smells like vinegar lol. I could have gotten the 120 for $50 bucks more and I did not because if the 4 extra inches it stuck out. It just did not fit well in the space but I do regret not getting the 120. This is temp as I am already planning my next tank when I get a house in the next few years. Probably going to go 250+ tank.. let's see how this one goes first.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey pelphrey.. yes first tank stand build. I did a lot of YouTube videos before I started lol. So far had a few challenges, I have to build the tank at my moms house as I live in apartment. So I had to level the floow as driveway is declined. Checked everything with a level before screwing in. Tank stand is very heavy at this point without the doors, about 100 lbs. Asi was the silicone I saw a lot of people use, the only thing is my house smells like vinegar lol. I could have gotten the 120 for $50 bucks more and I did not because if the 4 extra inches it stuck out. It just did not fit well in the space but I do regret not getting the 120. This is temp as I am already planning my next tank when I get a house in the next few years. Probably going to go 250+ tank.. let's see how this one goes first.

I see your point, 100 gallons is still a big tank and then adding the sump volume! I can't wait to see the 500 gallon! haha

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few goodies come in the mail this week. and the QT is all setup. This stand really needs to get done asap as it is holding my build up big time. Picked up these 5 gal containers so I can keep one with RODI and one with RODI/Salt mix and use it for ATO. I also have the Tunze ATO and Apex controller. Will start QT of the first first next week so when DT is cycled it will be ready for first fish (30 or do days for cycle). Once I am done with this salt I will be switching to Aquaforest salt.

IMG_3064.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little done today.. Setup QT tank. First time I used the RODI from BRS and I had 3 leaks in 3 different places lol have to call them this week.. I added DR. Tim's one and only, Yea i tested as I never used this before I wanted to see what the tests would show. Here are a few shots. I have air store and a sicce pump moving the water for now and mixing the salt. I am at 1.022 for now till I am ready to get a fish and I know what salt levels the store is shipping it at.

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 no change. Only change i see is the PH went from 8.2 to 8.0.
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give some details on your qt plans? Are you planning on qt'ing all your inverts and corals as well?

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same position. Apartment in Manhattan. Wish I could make DIY stand for myself but as you know there's no space for that in an apartment lol. Glad to see another person in NYC. Does your building allow "pets"? Or are aquariums/fish generally excluded from pet policies do you know? Funny how you can own your home in NYC and have such rules o_O

My building says no pets and I don't want to ask about an aquarium so just going to do it without saying anything. Looking at Red Sea Reefer 250 because it's not so big that it's obvious I'm bringing an aquarium. Did you have someone tell you that your floors can handle the weight of a 100 gallon tank? That is my main concern about a tank.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give some details on your qt plans? Are you planning on qt'ing all your inverts and corals as well?
once the QT is cycled I am going to add 1-2 damsel.. they will be in qt for 30 or so days until my DT is ready. then wait 2-3 week once fish are in DT to make sure they are healthy and add 1-2 corals. I will dip corals, any coral thats attached to a plug I will cut off , dip and glue it to a clean new plug i have.

Then I will add the clowns to dt and they will be in qt for 30-40 days or as needed. I will observe fish, I will not medicate if fish are not showing any illness in QT.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same position. Apartment in Manhattan. Wish I could make DIY stand for myself but as you know there's no space for that in an apartment lol. Glad to see another person in NYC. Does your building allow "pets"? Or are aquariums/fish generally excluded from pet policies do you know? Funny how you can own your home in NYC and have such rules o_O

My building says no pets and I don't want to ask about an aquarium so just going to do it without saying anything. Looking at Red Sea Reefer 250 because it's not so big that it's obvious I'm bringing an aquarium. Did you have someone tell you that your floors can handle the weight of a 100 gallon tank? That is my main concern about a tank.
yes my building in queens allows pets, as far as weight, out ceiling are 2 feet thick concrete. I checked with super and he said floors can handle fish tanks over 500 gallons as we have someone here with a 500 gallon in living room. My apartment is 2 bed 2 bath with over 1350 SQ so space is not an issue. One good thing about where i am at is i don't pay for water or electric. lol AWESOME... I was gonna get the redsea as well but i kinda wanted a little larger tank without breaking the bank. As far as stand see if you can build the stand at a friends house , if not then redsea is a nice tank.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes my building in queens allows pets, as far as weight, out ceiling are 2 feet thick concrete. I checked with super and he said floors can handle fish tanks over 500 gallons as we have someone here with a 500 gallon in living room. My apartment is 2 bed 2 bath with over 1350 SQ so space is not an issue. One good thing about where i am at is i don't pay for water or electric. lol AWESOME... I was gonna get the redsea as well but i kinda wanted a little larger tank without breaking the bank. As far as stand see if you can build the stand at a friends house , if not then redsea is a nice tank.

Very nice. Yeah I don't pay for water either which is definitely a plus. I would love to go bigger but I'm in a 1 bedroom with 670 sq. ft lol. Oh well, something to look forward to...

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 on DR. Tim's one and only and no change. last night I added more Dr. Tim's one and only to see if maybe I would see a change but nothing.

Salt 1.026
Ammonia 2.0
PH 8.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REBOOT: So after 5 days I saw no change in the ammonia or Nitrates.. I went to LFS and picked up Seachem stability and dosed 1 cap last night and another this morning. So back to Day 1..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REBOOT: So after 5 days I saw no change in the ammonia or Nitrates.. I went to LFS and picked up Seachem stability and dosed 1 cap last night and another this morning. So back to Day 1..
Sorry you are having problems! Dr Tims is great stuff if it has been stored correctly. It is an active bacteria product so if it is exposed to extreme heat or cold it will not perform well. It also has a shelf life of 1 year although 6 months or less is recommended.
Stability is bacteria in a cyst form so it tends to start a little slower, but it is also more reliable since it can be frozen and exposed to up to 130F with no issues. Good luck!

FYI, I think you motivated me to go with a new SCA system :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back