OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are having problems! Dr Tims is great stuff if it has been stored correctly. It is an active bacteria product so if it is exposed to extreme heat or cold it will not perform well. It also has a shelf life of 1 year although 6 months or less is recommended.
Stability is bacteria in a cyst form so it tends to start a little slower, but it is also more reliable since it can be frozen and exposed to up to 130F with no issues. Good luck!

FYI, I think you motivated me to go with a new SCA system :)
Cool man their tanks are pretty nice. I like the fact that the center had the drain and return pipes so no need to drill any other return lines. Steve at SCA is a good dude, if you want to do some other overflow he will drill the holes for you.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool man their tanks are pretty nice. I like the fact that the center had the drain and return pipes so no need to drill any other return lines. Steve at SCA is a good dude, if you want to do some other overflow he will drill the holes for you.
I got a quote from him using a Synergy ghost overflow and the return lines drilled separately. His pricing is great for custom builds!

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a quote from him using a Synergy ghost overflow and the return lines drilled separately. His pricing is great for custom builds!
yea and he uses 12mm glass.. I got the 100 gallon and i can tell you this thing is heavy as hell. i hope to finish my stand within the next 2-3 weeks, i hope and get things moving.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea and he uses 12mm glass.. I got the 100 gallon and i can tell you this thing is heavy as hell. i hope to finish my stand within the next 2-3 weeks, i hope and get things moving.
I'm looking at a 187g system. I need to start on a stand soon!

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEll no change with QT tank. I am on day 7 of stability. Here are a few shots. Worked on tank but came to realize doing "flush" doors is a very difficult task. Checked with to see how much for a aquarium stand and I was quoted $650 bucks.. So with that said, yea i will make these doors fit one way or another...
IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEll no change with QT tank. I am on day 7 of stability. Here are a few shots. Worked on tank but came to realize doing "flush" doors is a very difficult task. Checked with to see how much for a aquarium stand and I was quoted $650 bucks.. So with that said, yea i will make these doors fit one way or another...
IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
That is really odd. Its almost like you have a sterilizer in your system, such as bleach.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really odd. Its almost like you have a sterilizer in your system, such as bleach.
I thought about changing water and starting all over again but what if it's the same thing? Then it's a waste of 2 weeks. Next round I will have some live rock or matrix I will add to the qt from my sump so hopefully will not take as long

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about changing water and starting all over again but what if it's the same thing? Then it's a waste of 2 weeks. Next round I will have some live rock or matrix I will add to the qt from my sump so hopefully will not take as long
It is very odd. Even without having added bottled bacteria I would have expected you to see something by now.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very odd. Even without having added bottled bacteria I would have expected you to see something by now.
What is a bacteria loom? 4th day I did go a little overboard with sr. tims one and only

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well day 10 and no change.. ammonia still at 2.0ppm, n02 - 0 and no3-0.. Added some Aquaforest biofil

IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have chlorine in your water? What you are seeing is very far from normal.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3137.JPG
Any chance you have chlorine in your water? What you are seeing is very far from normal.
no i have tested the water with the water strip before i started the RODI water. I can test it again. I read on Seachem's forum that a few people their tanks took 2-3 months to cycle.. I also tested ammonia with a different test kit and it came out the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Its like day 12 on Stability cycle on QT and everything is the same lol.. At this point i say f it... i am just going to let it sit there not worry about it and let it do its thing. One the Stand I worked a few hours on sunday and some Today and I have the front doors up. It was not easy!!! lots of trial and error getting them level and straight. Its acceptable, not 100% for my standards. Adding side doors next as well.

IMG_3140.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after 16 days!!! we finally can see some signs of life..

ammonia 0.5
nitrites 2.0-5.0 ppm can't tell colors look the same
Nitrates 0
PH after looking at i think it is closer to 8.0

Should I add more ammonia for the bacteria to feed from or leave it till nitrites goes back down to 0?

IMG_3146.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 18 and near 0 ammonia, 0 No3 and about 5.0PPM N02. Working on the stand tomorrow to install side doors.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21 and things are looking good. Stand is almost complete, 1 door to hang left then its wood filler and stain time. QT tank is doing great. I am starting to see some Nitrates now. I did add some ammonia on Saturday and it was gone on monday. Next week first fish will be added to QT tank hopefully..

IMG_3154.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 23 on QT tank and looks like I have high Nitrites that don't want to come down. I am seeing PH getting slightly lighter. If it falls below 8.0 should I add something to raise it or will a water change take care of it?
IMG_3163.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 23 on QT tank and looks like I have high Nitrites that don't want to come down. I am seeing PH getting slightly lighter. If it falls below 8.0 should I add something to raise it or will a water change take care of it?
IMG_3163.JPG
As long as your pH is above 7.6 you can ignore it. I don't even test mine in a fish QT. There are plenty of people who run reef tanks in the 7.8 to 8.0 range, especially if they live in newer houses.

Don't get too hung up on nitrites. There are a few reactions that can cause false positive tests in salt water systems and nitrites aren't nearly as harmful to salt water fish as they are to fresh water ones. However, it does still like your tank could use a bit more time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back