SCA 50 gallon cube build *PIC HEAVY*

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have the same tank. Looking forward to see it fully stocked.

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tested the water again tonight, not much of a change (not that I expected one) so yesterday I mixed up 14gal of new water and just now did a water change. will test it again tomorrow.

PH = 8.04
KH = 7.5
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = 1
NO3 = 35
SG = 34
Temp = 78.3

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the test results after the water change...

PH = 8.1
KH = 8
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = .2
NO3 = 25
SG = 35
Temp = 78.8

After seeing these number I'll do one more water change (10 gal) tomorrow. then test 24 hours after the change.

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just tested my water and here are the results...

PH = 7.96
KH = 8.5
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 10
SG = 35
Temp = 78.3

I talked with my LFS and they said it's time to add a small fish or two.. so i'm gong to swing by later today and pick something up.

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I stopped by my LFS, and came home with a pair of fire fish...

1zyzsk8.jpg

They were pretty scared of their new environment, but quickly found a safe place to hide out for a bit.

2egehba.jpg

After a couple of hours they got brave and decided to check out their new home..

2ewm6u8.jpg

Someone else seems pretty excited about our new hobby as well...

1432agm.jpg

On a hardware note, I decided to finally swap out that green 1" return tube. I hard plumbed it 95%, and used about 8" silicone tubing. I think it looks much better. I also got my fuge light (JBJ Nano GLO) installed. I'm going fill the fuge with live rock and chaeto.

9j40fd.jpg

More to come...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bro that's so nice!

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report the new fire fish are eating well and are spending more time out in the open.

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i just pulled the pin on a RLSS r5-i, found a deal i could not pass up.. 279.99 marked down to $140.00.

https://www.saltysupply.com/rlss-r-5i-internal-skimmer-with-dc2500h.html

I used their online chat, as i had a question about the included pump being apex ready, and it turns out that the included pump is not apex ready. The person i was chatting with said all i would need is the new 2500 controller to make it apex ready, and that the motors are the same between the older version (non apex) and the current apex ready version. they did not sell just the controller there, but they do sell the pump and the new controller as a set. It was also on sale for $55.00 down from $109.00. I searched for 2500h apex ready controller and they were $45.00. So i added the new controller and pump set. After i applied a 5% off coupon i was out the door for 185.25 for a rlss r5-i, spare pump, spare controller, spare power supply, and it's controllable via my apex so i wont need to stop and start it once a day to feed, just ramp down the power during the feeding cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the chaeto and live rock added to the sump, Here is the JBJ nano glo in action..

2a9cku1.jpg

and a random fish pic...

2zyg9w4.jpg

Robert Ramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. I just ordered my 50 PNP this week. I notice you are running 2 heaters in the sump. What kind are they and how is temperature management?

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new purchase, I'm loving mine. The heters are eheim jager 150 watt. i have them set at around 79, but i control the temp with my apex. So low is 77.9 and high is 78.9.

Robert Ramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, perfect! I have purchased at Colbalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 250W for the system. I would also control with Apex unit so it's good news that your system is similar since I am looking at your system for guidance.... :)

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good I went with two just on the off chance one was to fail in "OFF" position. I guess most fail in the "ON" so that's where the apex comes in. I'd love to see a build thread on yours as well.

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank and great build! Enjoying watching it come together. Just ordered the same setup and looking forward to getting started myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added a couple more small fish last sunday...

14wxetx.jpg

I'm now in a diatom bloom, I just tested my water

PH = 8.07
KH = 8
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 2
SG = 35
Temp = 78.7

On my way home I stopped by the LFS, and picked up 3 snails, and they happen to have some frog spawn on sale..

166lszp.jpg

from what I've read it sounds best to let the diatoms run their course, and just watch the water levels. More to come

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my first report of bad news.. Got home yesterday to find one of my fire fish dead on the sand bed. I looked over the body and no signs of a fight and it was acting normal and eating fine. On a side not one of my banggai's has tucked itself into the rock work and I fear also may have died... I tested the water again and all levels were the same and i last reported a couple days ago. The 3 new snails, and corals are all fine so I'm not sure what happened. Just to be safe I'm going to do a water change tonight.

OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a water change, and tested the 2 days later and again everything is right on track..

PH 8.03
NH3/NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
DKH 10
SG 35
Temp 78.6

I did have the other firefish die on me, not sure what is going on... On the other hand the last Banggai is doing great. He is eating like a pig, swimming all over the tank and will even come face to face with me when I walk up to the tank. I'm not going to add any more fist for at least a week or two. I did get a package from the UPS man today, my Rlss R5i came in.

Very well packed
2z8c3rr.jpg

Everything unpacked
2hqb628.jpg

All Setup and ready to be installed.
2qdy2bk.jpg

Here is the "Apex ready" controller from the extra Waveline DC2500h I ordered.
2iloryf.jpg

Here is the Rlss R5i next to the SCA 301.
2qbwrxt.jpg

Got it installed and breaking in.. I'll pretty up the wiring after break in.
1o11co.jpg

My first thoughts on this skimmer is that it's AWESOME!!! It is so quiet compared to the SCA, that also made the wife really happy. It's been running for about 3 hours and it's already pushing gunk up the tube. It also produces very little to no micro bubbles into the sump. I do not have it wired to the apex yet, but i'll get that done in the next day or two.

I hit my LFS over the weekend and came home with a nice green star polyp colony. I did put it on the back rockwork at first, but after doing some reading on it I opted to isolate it on the sand bed to prevent it from taking over.

Here is what it looked like when I first got it moved to the sand bed.
29wok7k.jpg

And again after about an hour..
2h2m6tf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr70ss

mr70ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I moved Jebao's closer to the bottom of the back wall, and aimed them at the rockwork and not the glass, and all of the corals have responded well, here is a pic of the frogspawn with the most extension I've seen so far.

30bk28g.jpg

Eggyoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup and you almost made me spend $140 on a new skimmer! It's Christmas time so I decided not to at the time. Please keep me updated on the performance.

Back