Scale on Purple Tang?

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this translucent/ white scale on my purple tang’s on his scalpel. It looks
like it is shedding something. I doubt that it is ich as he has been in cupramine for several weeks

051cbcc17f599a0d0c7dd9d517ab2673.heic
ec3a7e279d9b9bf6a89c0d8a6f47fc13.heic
it is shedding or something

OP
OP
Coral Hygiene

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility that he stabbed another fish in the tank, and is now carrying one of that guy's scales as a trophy?

~Bruce

He’s only with a flame angel, and the angel has no battle scars from what I can see. And this “scale” is about 1 cm or so. But something is on its scalpel... Can bacterial or fungal infections cause tang scalpels to turn white and have a scale-like outgrowth?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s only with a flame angel, and the angel has no battle scars from what I can see. And this “scale” is about 1 cm or so. But something is on its scalpel... Can bacterial or fungal infections cause tang scalpels to turn white and have a scale-like outgrowth?
No, it sounds more like a spine that’s just stuck outward, or recently used. I wouldn’t worry about it, personally. Unless the condition worsens, leave the fish be.

If it worsens, an acriflavin dip followed by kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 would be my recommendation.

OP
OP
Coral Hygiene

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it sounds more like a spine that’s just stuck outward, or recently used. I wouldn’t worry about it, personally. Unless the condition worsens, leave the fish be.

If it worsens, an acriflavin dip followed by kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 would be my recommendation.

Alright, thanks. How much longer should I keep him in quarantine? He was supposed go in the DT today but his scalpel freaked me out. I have been feeding him metroplex + focus preventatively with his food for the past 3 weeks if that means anything

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks. How much longer should I keep him in quarantine? He was supposed go in the DT today but his scalpel freaked me out. I have been feeding him metroplex + focus preventatively with his food for the past 3 weeks if that means anything

I’d observe for another few days. If it doesn’t worsen or improves, move it over :)

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, what you are seeing is the infantile stages of HLLE. - head lateral line erosion. The face is chipping away in the second photo and the tail portion is like the end point of the lateral line. That is what it looks like to me.

Mix selcon or fish vitamins in food to help fight the erosion process. again this is my opinion, im not a vet. Google image HLLE purple tang and you will see what im talking about.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back