Scales missing all over maroon clown

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home from work and found my larger maroon clown like this. Not sure what it is but it almost looks like he was getting bullied? Currently working on trying to source a tank to setup as quarantine but it's getting late. Any idea what I'm dealing with. I looked up Brooke and velvet bit it doesn't resemble that to me. Maybe lateral line disease? I have no clue. Please help! 20201229_191632.jpg 20201229_191624.jpg

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to petsmart for a tank its all that's open, anything I should grab while there? They close very soon.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody could give me any advice it would be very greatly appreciated. I have no clue what to do at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with it that could be causing this?
If no bullying is going on, it could be Brooklmnellar a bacterial disease.
How long have you had the fish?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to petsmart for a tank its all that's open, anything I should grab while there? They close very soon.
Tank, heater, sponge filter or a HOB filter since petsmart probably doesn’t carry sponge filters. Pick up some meds also: broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic, ruby reef rally maybe. Ich-x - the one with formalin in it maybe.
Jay

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with it that could be causing this?
If no bullying is going on, it could be Brooklmnellar a bacterial disease.
How long have you had the fish?
Jay
I also have a coral beauty, a much smaller maroon clown (bought as pair), pearly jawfish, and a mandarin. Fish were purchased approximately 3 months ago. I've been looking at pictures of brook and other diseases and it doesn't resemble anything. The only thing close is lateral line erosion.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, heater, sponge filter or a HOB filter since petsmart probably doesn’t carry sponge filters. Pick up some meds also: broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic, ruby reef rally maybe. Ich-x - the one with formalin in it maybe.
Jay
I picked up a 20 gallon kit, it comes with hob filter and heater. I didn't grab any meds as I had no clue what to buy. They closed at 9 so it's godspeed until tomorrow I guess.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a coral beauty, a much smaller maroon clown (bought as pair), pearly jawfish, and a mandarin. Fish were purchased approximately 3 months ago. I've been looking at pictures of brook and other diseases and it doesn't resemble anything. The only thing close is lateral line erosion.
It isn’t lateral line erosion. I don’t trust maroons in the same tank unless they are bonded and nesting, the pair dynamics can change over time. I would be leaning towards it being a bacterial infection.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maroon VS Maroon is a likelihood. They are a typical nasty clown.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes
Generally it’s the female (larger that’s the aggressor)

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Generally it’s the female (larger that’s the aggressor)
Right, and the larger one is the one who has the damage to its scales so I kinda doubt the little one guy did this to the big girl. I just was thinking, is it possible that the clownfish tried to be hosted by the rock flower anemone I have and that maybe caused this?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if the fish have been in there that long then I feel less worried about Brooklynella, and that's a very good thing.

I've never had a clown try to associate with a rock flower, but I've seen pictures of a maroon or two doing it before. Not sure how it played out.

Maybe a Melafix bath in the hospital tank would be a good place to start if it's physical damage. With Brooklynella it probably wouldn't make it another day without treatment, if at all. It kills really fast. As in, I once (maybe 8-9 years ago) recommended A UV sterilizer to a customer that first saw symptoms in the morning, and after work he came back to say his fish died and he wanted to buy the UV. He had added a new fish a few days prior without quarantine.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if the fish have been in there that long then I feel less worried about Brooklynella, and that's a very good thing.

I've never had a clown try to associate with a rock flower, but I've seen pictures of a maroon or two doing it before. Not sure how it played out.

Maybe a Melafix bath in the hospital tank would be a good place to start if it's physical damage. With Brooklynella it probably wouldn't make it another day without treatment, if at all. It kills really fast. As in, I once (maybe 8-9 years ago) recommended A UV sterilizer to a customer that first saw symptoms in the morning, and after work he came back to say his fish died and he wanted to buy the UV. He had added a new fish a few days prior without quarantine.
I didn't get the quarantine tank set up yet because the only place I have available isn't level at all and I don't have any mat to put under it so if she's still alive in the am and after work I'll grab a tank stand and some melafix and start there. I'm completely unprepared for this and I feel like I messed up big time. The clown does seem to be behaving pretty normal still, eating frozen and doing the pairing dance with the smaller one (smaller being submissive still). I did notice while they did the dance though the little one does turn into the sides of the large one and looks like it's maybe nipping at her sides, but I'm not 100% sure I could just be looking for anything at this point to give me hope. I dosed some prime into the tank right before bed in case she doesn't make it to help in case of ammonia spiking. Hopefully she doesn't have brook and makes it through the night.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The behavior sounds pretty normal to me for clowns. The female (large one) goes after the male, which makes a perpendicular stance, then when she backs off turns around and chases/nips her flank while swimming with her. If it's like that, then my breeding ocellaris pair do it all the time. If clownfish hit and run quickly, that's far more aggressive.

My bug-out quarantine tank: foam board to insulate the bottom, heater, tank with lid (or rubbermaid bin with a safe way to mount a heater), air stone, filter (e.g. sponge, HOB, submersible - type depends on the fish). You can put it on the floor and put it away when you're done. A rubbermaid bin once saved me during a late-night, second-hand-tank leak too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The behavior sounds pretty normal to me for clowns. The female (large one) goes after the male, which makes a perpendicular stance, then when she backs off turns around and chases/nips her flank while swimming with her. If it's like that, then my breeding ocellaris pair do it all the time. If clownfish hit and run quickly, that's far more aggressive.

My bug-out quarantine tank: foam board to insulate the bottom, heater, tank with lid (or rubbermaid bin with a safe way to mount a heater), air stone, filter (e.g. sponge, HOB, submersible - type depends on the fish). You can put it on the floor and put it away when you're done.
Yea the behavior is what I've always seen from these two and a few other pairs I've had in the past in my old tanks behaved the same. I really don't think it was the other clown causing the issue.
As for the hospital tank, I'll have it setup tomorrow even if the female doesn't make it I'm grabbing a cheap stand from the store so I can setup the qt because if he dies then I gotta start working on the rest of the fish.

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm baffled, lights are out in the tank so I can't really get a good pic but from what I'm seeing it looks like the fish has almost no more signs of whatever was going on. I did a quick Google search and found that these golden lightning maroons can sometimes darken their stripes and lighten them. Now I'm wondering if thats what's happening. My mind is in a pretzel now. Any experts out there with golden lightning maroons that can chime in? 20201230_072519.jpg 20201230_072517.jpg 20201230_072514.jpg 20201230_072458.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the other clown is much smaller?
Unless they are bonded, their sex is dynamic, and the changing hormones can cause all sorts of aggression. It is pretty easy to tell though: does the pair hang out together? If so, then they are fine. If they don’t, they could be fighting when you aren’t in the room. I would expect to see some ripped fins though,
Jay

OP
OP
Jd120988

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they are bonded, their sex is dynamic, and the changing hormones can cause all sorts of aggression. It is pretty easy to tell though: does the pair hang out together? If so, then they are fine. If they don’t, they could be fighting when you aren’t in the room. I would expect to see some ripped fins though,
Jay
Yea they always hang out together and they do the "dance" frequently where the smaller of the two always is submissive from what I've seen. I've had the pair for 3 months bought as a pair and they have never exhibited any other behavior from what I've seen. What's weird is what I just wrote up before you responded. I see like no issues with the larger one anymore and I'm questioning if what I seen was actually scales missing or if the stripes were just darkening.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back