• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SCAM ALERT!!! PLEASE READ

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can walk into a store, steal up to $5000 in goods and casually walk out without being charged (and even if caught it's no longer a criminal offence) - what do you expect? We've been breeding a generation or more of people with absolutely zero conscience or sense of morality.
We? No sir. I teach my children right from wrong even if the law doesnt agree LOL.

Breeding ignorant children is the fault of the ignorant parents :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We? No sir. I teach my children right from wrong even if the law doesnt agree LOL.

Breeding ignorant children is the fault of the ignorant parents :)
"We" as in society as a whole. Your kids and my kids get to watch the 'other' kids shoplift without consequence.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We" as in society as a whole. Your kids and my kids get to watch the 'other' kids shoplift without consequence.
Totally get you.
but its our job to steer them in the right path to make the better decisions of not to shoplift even though there are no concequences.

Parents need to be more involved in their kids life IMHO.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a sad profession "scammer" is in this world. How do these people sleep at night?
It's sad to say but I'm sure they sleep just fine at night. :-( It's easy to do what they do when they have no moral compass.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, pics or no, I'd be highly suspicious of an account created less than a week ago and not particpating at all offering to sell me something.
I thought things couldnt be sold unless they had been here for x weeks or posted x messages?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sad state the world has come to when we have to research the people we are buying from. I'm sure scamming people has been going on since the stone age but the internet makes it so easy to pull it off and not be caught. The moral compass of humanity is starting to point in the wrong direction but I digress. :) Thanks OP for posting this. I think we need a new Scam Alert section. I think there have been a couple of these in just the past month.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought things couldnt be sold unless they had been here for x weeks or posted x messages?
Legit members are posting in WTB and being messaged by scammers. This is different than posting in the selling section which is where you need the post count, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Legit members are posting in WTB and being messaged by scammers. This is different than posting in the selling section which is where you need the post count, etc.
Yes - all good- I was not aware that people could send PMs/conversations unless they met some criteria. Perhaps that should be considered.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some restrictions need to be put on private messaging as well. Maybe folks need to be a member for a month and have so many comments before they can PM. I think I was a member of a site that had this type of msging restriction. That would weed out most scammers (I hope). Maybe comments in WTB should also have similar restrictions that way scammers can't reply to WTB posts. It's sad when things like this have to be implemented to protect the community.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a sad state the world has come to when we have to research the people we are buying from. I'm sure scamming people has been going on since the stone age but the internet makes it so easy to pull it off and not be caught. The moral compass of humanity is starting to point in the wrong direction but I digress. :) Thanks OP for posting this. I think we need a new Scam Alert section. I think there have been a couple of these in just the past month.

I've been posting stuff in here. The trouble is, the scammers just keep setting up new accounts so it's hard to warn people about individuals. The generic warning to just to be on your guard.

I must say, that I've reported a few scammers and R2R has dealt with them very quickly (within a few minutes), but they just pop up again with a new account.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the 'sad state' has been in place since the world started. Thus the phrase 'caveat emptor' (let the buyer beware). I think the scam alert is when you look and see the person has a new account - and no posts, etc.

Note - I'm not disagreeing with you. Except a 'scam alert' won't really help - they will just change their email, etc - right? I can't remember the vetting process when I signed up for R2R years ago - but currently - if you sign up for nearly any site - you need to verify at least your email, etc like an authentication process when you sign up.

Also having said that - seems like R2R is already helping in this - in the sense that they warn consistently for people to use PayPal, etc (which would completely protect you against a scammer) But maybe to that 'warning' add - do not accept offers to sell equipment that do not meet the same requirements that the other sellers do - i.e. make it a TOS violation to solicit people on the wanted to buy section unless they meet those same criteria.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been posting stuff in here. The trouble is, the scammers just keep setting up new accounts so it's hard to warn people about individuals. The generic warning to just to be on your guard.

I must say, that I've reported a few scammers and R2R has dealt with them very quickly (within a few minutes), but they just pop up again with a new account.
Oh ya, creating new accounts is standard. Thanks for sharing that section. It's sad this is what the world has come to. :-( No space is safe anymore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What are requirements to sell on this site?
Reefcentral.com was or still is you need 50 posts before you can even get to use classified.
10 meaningful posts.
Saying " Hello" or " I agree" as examples are not meaningful.

Meaningful are a conversation, sharing an experience, going on any of the sub forums and getting imvolved in conversations

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 meaningful posts.
Saying " Hello" or " I agree" as examples are not meaningful.

Meaningful are a conversation, sharing an experience, going on any of the sub forums and getting imvolved in conversations
Do you think it makes sense (if the system allows it) - to add those requirements to allow people to PM another member? OR - put it in the TOS to not allow anyone to PM someone with a selling offer unless they meet those criteria?

Part of me thinks common sense and the multiple warnings already in place are 'enough' - but curious as to your opinion

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you think it makes sense (if the system allows it) - to add those requirements to allow people to PM another member? OR - put it in the TOS to not allow anyone to PM someone with a selling offer unless they meet those criteria?

Part of me thinks common sense and the multiple warnings already in place are 'enough' - but curious as to your opinion
It does make sense but also requires common sense. The rules have changed a bit over the last 2 years

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad to say but I'm sure "THEY" sleep just fine at night. :-( It's easy to do what they do when they have no moral compass.
It's the moral-less pop culture combined with the magic phone teaching technology and time, with just a little politics thrown in to adjust the 10 commandments into Freedom of Choice!:

Yogi Bear Theme Lyrics

Yogi Bear is smarter than the average bear,
Yogi Bear is always in the ranger's hair.
At a picnic table you will find him there
Stuffing down more goodies than the average bear.

He will sleep till noon but before it's dark,
He'll have every picnic basket that's in Jellystone Park.

Yogi has it better than a millionaire
That's because he's smarter than the average bear.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/yogibearlyrics.html

OK Boo Boo, take it away!
Hungry Yogi Bear GIF by Boomerang Official

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back