• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scam alert

Item Price
Scammers
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Buyer Protection
  1. YES I agree and I understand that as a seller I may not ask for payment through platforms that do not offer buyer’s protection.
Thread Prefix?
  1. YES I have added pre-fixes to my thread title.
Shipping
YES shipping is available
OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same person on another page
F7168DDA-7096-46A4-AF79-26D85218ED43.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about all this!

@Raptor72 I hope there's something you can do to get your money back. Don't beat yourself up too much, with all the crap going around these days, it's easy to make a mistake.

Was this in response to a Wanted To Buy post? That's the only time I've seen this, but it's happened to me both here at R2R and at NR, both from a WTB.

In my experience, the scammers typically have just joined that day and have like 1 or 2 posts.

I buy a lot of used stuff here on R2R, and I've sold a couple things too. I would only deal with members that are obviously on here discussing reefing actively. I wouldn't trust anyone who signed up seemingly just to message you with the exact item you're looking for. I'm not saying that's what happened to you guys, but that's what happened to me.

Remember, it is absolutely against R2R forum rules for any sender to ask for PayPal by the "friends and family" option. It should be a huge red flag if a seller is asking for this. Never use the "friends and family" option if you're not sending money to, you know, friends or family.

Keep your guard up and definitely forward any fishy (pun intended) looking messages to the mods! This has come up before, and I know they take it seriously.

Good luck and stay safe!

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about all this!

@Raptor72 I hope there's something you can do to get your money back. Don't beat yourself up too much, with all the crap going around these days, it's easy to make a mistake.

Was this in response to a Wanted To Buy post? That's the only time I've seen this, but it's happened to me both here at R2R and at NR, both from a WTB.

In my experience, the scammers typically have just joined that day and have like 1 or 2 posts.

I buy a lot of used stuff here on R2R, and I've sold a couple things too. I would only deal with members that are obviously on here discussing reefing actively. I wouldn't trust anyone who signed up seemingly just to message you with the exact item you're looking for. I'm not saying that's what happened to you guys, but that's what happened to me.

Remember, it is absolutely against R2R forum rules for any sender to ask for PayPal by the "friends and family" option. It should be a huge red flag if a seller is asking for this. Never use the "friends and family" option if you're not sending money to, you know, friends or family.

Keep your guard up and definitely forward any fishy (pun intended) looking messages to the mods! This has come up before, and I know they take it seriously.

Good luck and stay safe!

It was a response to a WTB post. I don’t send as F&F anymore but being that it was a third party off the forum and had a great story, I gave in.

I received the message through my regular email notifications but couldn’t find it on my forum message history which I found weird.

IMG_4540.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a response to a WTB post. I don’t send as F&F anymore but being that it was a third party off the forum and had a great story, I gave in.

I received the message through my regular email notifications but couldn’t find it on my forum message history which I found weird.
Not seeing the message by just going to the forum is definitely weird. But seriously, could have happened to any of us. I stress and strive to be vigilant, but it's so easy to hear a great story and to make a mistake. What sucks is how many scams and scammers we have to deal with these days.

Lam'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me too just got a PM message from him. I knew he is the scammer.

Johnson071 started a new conversation with you at REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum.

Exclusive Dream Box Sump

Hi Mate, you can check with Lily she has it available, her late husband was a member of this forum you can text her at, (703) 664-9458, I purchased items from her and they arrived in top condition.

I already lost $1000 already last month and could not get it back. Can someone get this baster?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mods have been tipped off to this thread. I'm sure he will be booted in no time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back