SCAMMER ALERT!! Have you ever been scammed by someone in the hobby?

Has anyone ever SCAMMED you in the hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 178 30.5%
  • No

Votes: 394 67.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 2.1%

• Total voters

gobey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to find, personally, happens more with hardware.
I bought a used tunze osmolator a few years ago, that was supposed to be working but the laser wasn't, lost out there.
Tunze Pumps - cracked shaft. Seems most used hardware had some problem and people sell them on. Loads more but im getting old and can't remember.
I keep it simple now, buy new.

Like the above post says do your homework.

Phillips/reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on my lfs did scam to a degree. I would tell him what I had going on and ask what is the best solution. Long story short instead of selling the best solution from equipment /additives/ treatment etc. He would say do this or buy that and still would have issue. Went to another lfs told them everything and they said he's just selling crap to you not giving you the tools to succeed in the hobby. That's why I still use them they will sale you what they believe in not hype. Cause I dont mind spending the money if it's the best solution or option at that time. Learned that real quick buy quality gear for longterm success. 17yrs in the hobby now and I've seen allot. But I believe right now the biggest scam is the light show and crazy names to sale corals. Let there beauty shine in everyday lighting.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been "scammed" exactly, although I've paid more than I really should have for a couple of used items. I should learn to barter more effectively I guess.

I rarely buy anything online. The only experience I've had buying online from someone I don't know was here through R2R, and it went exceptionally well :)

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I RECIEVED a highlighter green acro that was already dead and was actually a marker on a dead coral. The marker started coming off on my hand when I pulled the frag from the bag. It was only a couple months ago but that is what you get for 15.00$
Sorry, but this so outragious it is funny. Are you saying you bought a highlighter acro that someone used a highlighter to color a dead coral?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not call it a full scam but partial one. I bought 4 acros from a super famous vendor on this forum and worldwide worth approx $1000. When it reached me 2 of them were already dead. It was mid winter without any heat pack which was not expected from a vendor of their status. I took some picture and texted him immediately and he texted saying it was their fault and he will make it right next time. So next sale I bought couple more and texted him that he promised to make it right. he answered yes. Guess what?? Exact same thing and another dead acro. I texted him again and then talked to him. He was again apologetic and promised to make things right but never answered back after that. So I quit buying from him. I still buy their name brand acros but from other vendors and fellow reefers. In this process I lost almost $450.;Blackeye;Blackeye

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over $40,000 and the 3 of them are still in business!!

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not call it a full scam but partial one. I bought 4 acros from a super famous vendor on this forum and worldwide worth approx $1000. When it reached me 2 of them were already dead. It was mid winter without any heat pack which was not expected from a vendor of their status. I took some picture and texted him immediately and he texted saying it was their fault and he will make it right next time. So next sale I bought couple more and texted him that he promised to make it right. he answered yes. Guess what?? Exact same thing and another dead acro. I texted him again and then talked to him. He was again apologetic and promised to make things right but never answered back after that. So I quit buying from him. I still buy their name brand acros but from other vendors and fellow reefers. In this process I lost almost $450.;Blackeye;Blackeye
If it’s who I think it is, why wouldn’t he just refund the whole order to make it right, or even half! He makes so much money!!!

Stoneys'Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but this so outragious it is funny. Are you saying you bought a highlighter acro that someone used a highlighter to color a dead coral?
Yes it was bright yellowish green and the marker was coming off in the bag . The acro was already dead and white as could be

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s who I think it is, why wouldn’t he just refund the whole order to make it right, or even half! He makes so much money!!!
I dont know if you are guessing the right person :p but yes he or his company does make a lot of money.

MHascsak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To some extent. Won some stuff on a wysiwyg auction from a vendor and went pick it up locally. Wasn't looking when they bagged everything up and got home to find an almost solid white acro. Would have been more than happy to still take it home for the full price but felt like they should have at least told me.

Salt_Creep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that I often think about is that someone can show you a pic of a colony, say its a Walt Disney, Home Wrecker ETC, and sell you a frag. The frag you usually get from something like that is usually really small and will not really look like the mother colony for quite along time. Then there are tons of factors like light, water quality, additives ETC. You have no clue if that frag you got actually came off that colony. Probably happens all the time.

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No never been scammed, I take what some would consider as extra precautions. But to be honest I don’t do much buying or selling online. However when I do I make extra effort to verify who I’m working with.

1.When buying I ask for pictures taken just for me. With the sellers name and date written on a piece of paper in the photo of the item. If the seller doesn’t want to, I live without the item.

2. When I sell, I only use regular paypal. I’m not worried about the 3% fee.

3. I only work with people with real phone numbers and talk to them. As soon as I see something flaky in the communications I back out.

4. I look at persons post history. If you have under 100 posts.. allot more verification will need to be required than someone with 1000 posts.

I have had scammers try to get me and do stupid things but that’s usually on Craigslist when I see the standard scam emails.
Hmmm. 2 posts a year—- I’ll be at 100 in 2070

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is a huge can of worms
I have been in the hobby and industry for a while there are allot of good people in it but many “opportunists” in it as well what would you define as a scam or taking advantage of a situation

Importers/wholesalers sending you different animals
Importers selling you different size animals
Manafactuar's telling lies on products
People selling damaged broken products
People selling dead stuff
People selling dying stuff
People selling pests (unknowing to the buyer)
People and lfs knowingly selling sick or infested animals ie aptesia, bubble algea, ick, flukes....... (probably the most common)
Lfs charging people different prices
Lfs taking advantage of maintenance customers
Price gouging certain “new” products

Scamming manafactuar’s
Ohh the list goes on and on it’s a real wildwest all this drama is the number 1 reason people leave this hobby they love the hobby but iether gets too expensive or fail miserably because they fell into a scam/trap misinformation is the second major reason

I have been scammed by major companies and brands
People i was always more careful with being from ny but i have been “scammed” in the past i think it comes with the territory you get burned you dont stop using fire you are just careful with it

Edit:
Figured idd add this out of all the community’s i have found that this one the best for its people and the way it’s run

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back