Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 pipping

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it's not the piping but the bulkheads. schedule 80 bulkheads have thicker gaskets and in my opinion seal better. You have to have bigger holes to accommodate them.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i’m partial to schedule 80 just because of the unions being thicker. schedule 40 works just as fine, is cheaper, and readily available

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Schedule 80 because I am a snob... JK... No really. The advantages of 80 over 40 is 80 is made for outdoor use and is thicker and more rigid, It will hold up to more of your bumping and need less support than 40. Also 80 stands up to UV more than 40 which can make it brittle over time. Plus 80 is just so dang purdy...

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a snob too lol
Well there’s your answer! It’s fair to say Sched 40 can handle anything you’ll do with it from a plumbing perspective. But from an aesthetic perspective you want Sched 80.

OP
OP
mightynova63

mightynova63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question steamed from a conversation with a friend regarding the I.D. and in our conversation we wondered if there was a actual reason why we spend so much on sch 80. sch 40 will handle anything we could throw at it with better flow, weather or not its a miserable difference I'm not sure. I think BRS sells to much sch 80 to run that test lol

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its purely personal choice.

The pressures 98% of aquariums run at can be done with as low as SCH-10. I happen to love using thin wall PVC because the ID is so much larger.

I also like SCH-40 sanitary fittings for the nice long radius turns. But these are only available in 1 1/2" and larger.

But SCH-40 is whats stocked in most stores so thats what usually gets used.

I will say if you want colored pipes, but them colored. I painted a ton of white pipe and its HUUUGE PINA and scratches easily.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its purely personal choice.

The pressures 98% of aquariums run at can be done with as low as SCH-10. I happen to love using thin wall PVC because the ID is so much larger.

I also like SCH-40 sanitary fittings for the nice long radius turns. But these are only available in 1 1/2" and larger.

But SCH-40 is whats stocked in most stores so thats what usually gets used.

I will say if you want colored pipes, but them colored. I painted a ton of white pipe and its HUUUGE PINA and scratches easily.
This!

That sch10 is a pain to find unless you have a industrial pipe supply local. Also the smallest I've ever dealt with was 1".

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 40 is all you need. While the Schd 80 bulkheads are a better choice - Especially in 1.5 or 2" sizes.

For those who mention aesthetics, I tend to disagree. If you take Schd 40 pipe, wipe it down with acetone. Make sure any printing on the pipe isn't outward facing, use clear pipe cleaner, clear PVC glue and wipe your joints. A perfectly clean all white plumbing job is a pretty sight to see.

Now of course the last project I did was 200+ feet going underground and instead of Schd 40 I used 3" & 4" abs -- Black is clean, pretty and cheap.

Dave B

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all sch 80 guys that are doing it for 'aesthetics' know you can buy colored sch 40 pipe, right?

so much cheaper at homedepot. Stop getting ripped off by BRS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back