Schedule 80 slipxslip bulkheads - where to find them.

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for Schedule 80 slipxslip bulkheads. I tried BRS and other major online stores i could think of, also tried glass cages no one has slip x slip. I did find some on coralvue, but they have an o-ring instead of a gasket which worries me about leaks. If you know where i can find them please let me know!

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for Schedule 80 slipxslip bulkheads. I tried BRS and other major online stores i could think of, also tried glass cages no one has slip x slip. I did find some on coralvue, but they have an o-ring instead of a gasket which worries me about leaks. If you know where i can find them please let me know!
why do you want slip x slip?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells thread x slip but not slip x slip. Trying to recall if I have ever actually seen a Sch80 slip x slip. FWIW, those coralvue bulkheads are excellent and they fit in a Sch40 hole. The double O ring is actually superior to the gasket. I use them exclusively on my tank (though I do use the cheaper Sch40 ABS ones on accessories).

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am looking for slipx thread, thread on flange side, they dont carry that either!

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells thread x slip but not slip x slip. Trying to recall if I have ever actually seen a Sch80 slip x slip. FWIW, those coralvue bulkheads are excellent and they fit in a Sch40 hole. The double O ring is actually superior to the gasket. I use them exclusively on my tank (though I do use the cheaper Sch40 ABS ones on accessories).
Thank you for the info, i'll take another look at the coralvue ones.
Why are you requiring it to be sched 80?
I'm wanting schedule 80 as it's a 560 gallon tank and slip x slip because that is what i have always used, one less fitting to buy or leak.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, i'll take another look at the coralvue ones.

I'm wanting schedule 80 as it's a 560 gallon tank and slip x slip because that is what i have always used, one less fitting to buy or leak.
I get the slip x slip, that's what I prefer myself. The size of your tank while impressive doesn't gain anything from using schedule 80. Schedule 80 is for high pressure applications and harsh environments, none of which apply to reef tanks. Everyone in reefing is just using it for asthetics. There is no reason the regular black ABS bulkhead fittings won't work just fine.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer schedule 80 because they are easier to tighten and I find that it is easier to glue PVC to PVC rather than PVC to ABS. I have also seen many bulkheads crack from stupid aquarist syndrome and I find that schedule 80 are more resistant to this pestilence.

Slip x slip are available in some sizes but not others. Which size are you looking for?

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my bulkheads from Coralvue yesterday....they are perfect for what I was looking for. Thank you again for the recommendation!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
De nada

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good. i want the sch 80 for my 300 as i cut out the weirs and will be running closed loop on the predrilled holes. definitely do not need flimsy gasket or bulkhead cracking, wearing over time or whatever. im a bit hesitant of those reef octopus coral vue fittings as there is at least 1 bad review and those orings do not look kosher to me, i want a big ole 2x thickness full flange size gasket.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but i may order the reef octopus to check quality my holes are only 1.75" and i do not want to redrill

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the RO coralvue bulkheads for a while and would not go back to regular gasket versions. Haven’t had a single problem with them; though honestly never had major problems with the regular ABS bulkheads either LOL. Bulkhead problems are usually user error anyhow. The coralvue ones are good because they take the same hole size as Sch40. Put a little molycote on the o rings and they torque down just fine. No tools required.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the RO coralvue bulkheads for a while and would not go back to regular gasket versions. Haven’t had a single problem with them; though honestly never had major problems with the regular ABS bulkheads either LOL. Bulkhead problems are usually user error anyhow. The coralvue ones are good because they take the same hole size as Sch40. Put a little molycote on the o rings and they torque down just fine. No tools required.

I agree about user error. never had a problem either. I'm definitely going to order a set of the reef octopus cause I cannot go down to 3/4, am not drilling, so if they are good quality then I'll go with them. too bad there aren't more reviews.

saw a video where the guy glues down a 4" pvc coupling around the bulkheads on the floor. he later inserts a 4" pipe in coupling and is able to service bulkhead. pretty ingenious.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back