OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up... now your really going to see some crazy acro improvement. I did the moment i went from led to t5. Haven't looked back since

Yea. That's what I'm hoping for.
Absolutely stunning tank!! Thanks for sharing it with us:)
Thank you!

You coral seemed happy with the Radions. Why did you change?

Most were happy, but not all. I wanted a light that could make ALL my acros colored up and hopefully get them to start growing. Radions just weren't doing it for me. I really wanted them to work, I love LEDs. No heat, no bulb changing, but they just weren't performing like I had hoped.

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I almost finished cycling my new tank now and I have installed Radions for the reason you mentioned. I have a couple T5 supplemental lights like you did as well. Were you running G3 Standard or Pros?

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I almost finished cycling my new tank now and I have installed Radions for the reason you mentioned. I have a couple T5 supplemental lights like you did as well. Were you running G3 Standard or Pros?
Standard.

I noticed the best growth and colors with all color channels full blast. Don't believe what others say, run everything full blast for at least 5-6 hours a day. I run a 20k setting in the morning and at night to simulate sunrise/sunset. I tried other settings and i didn't see the results I expected.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ask as I've been nursing my switch over from radions to t5's. [emoji118]

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your game plan for aclimating the corals to t5's?
I ask as I've been nursing my switch over from radions to t5's. [emoji118]

Nothing. Just matched my old lighting schedule as far as times go.

I had 5 radions with 6-80w t5s. So I assume the corals were already used to the fluorescent lighting. My problem with the hybrid lighting was that neither the t5s or the radions were strong enough to give me that strong par that Sps need/love.

I had to make a decision, spend another $1300 on 2 more radions, OR ditch the LEDs all together and go full T5. I knew that if I went all LEDs, there was a chance that some of my corals still wouldn't be happy. T5s on the other hand are a proven light source, with no doubt whether my coral will respond well or not. In the end, t5 was an easy decision.

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww nick am I going to have to prove to u again that LEDs can grow and keep corals happy when I get the Maxspect ethereal's [emoji6]

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww nick am I going to have to prove to u again that LEDs can grow and keep corals happy when I get the Maxspect ethereal's [emoji6]
I never said LEDs can't grow corals, they just weren't working for me. I had been using LEDs for the last 5 years, I was one of the big led supporters. I have some really nice sps in my tank, and when they aren't growing, it's time to make a change. When I had Green slimers, birdsnest etc etc, they grew fine. It's the more finicky deep water and other picky acros that just didn't like LEDs. :/

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple iPhone pics with a gel filter this morning. Only blue + bulbs were on at the time. Insane what these t5s are doing to my acros. Everything is slowly but surely getting brighter and growing. Wish I had started with t5s 2 years ago, can't even imagine how different my tank would look today.

My orange passion is looking insane!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank brother! Good choice on the switch over to T5. Gonna be following along! Your Orange Passion is insane, can't wait till my little nub grows up, lol. It's also my favorite acro I have now. What would you say is yours? (I know, it's hard to narrow it down)

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank brother! Good choice on the switch over to T5. Gonna be following along! Your Orange Passion is insane, can't wait till my little nub grows up, lol. It's also my favorite acro I have now. What would you say is yours? (I know, it's hard to narrow it down)

Thanks man.
Probably between my orange passion and Jareds tri color prostrata. Tri color is so colorful, darn thing just won't grow.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's a really nice one too! It's so hard to narrow it down. I really love them all. Just like a old cat lady, lol keep up the good work bro and I'll be following along!

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going full aquaforest. I've already made one 30g water change with the probiotic salt, and I ordered another 30g bucket and other products.
Coral A
Coral E
Coral B

I am following another RC member that seems to have pretty good luck with her Sps. The prices aren't nearly as expensive as Korallen Zucht is, so it's much easier to give it a try. The salt was $30, and the other 3 products were $40ish off amazon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Going full aquaforest. I've already made one 30g water change with the probiotic salt, and I ordered another 30g bucket and other products.
Coral A
Coral E
Coral B

I am following another RC member that seems to have pretty good luck with her Sps. The prices aren't nearly as expensive as Korallen Zucht is, so it's much easier to give it a try. The salt was $30, and the other 3 products were $40ish off amazon.

Awesome man! See if you can get her to come over here and share!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 129 42.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back